Selling a house in France

lilly

Can anyone tell me if Capital Gains Tax applies to selling all property in France?   I joint own a house in France with my son and we would like to sell it.  Neither of us own any other property in France or England.     In England, C.G.Tax is only paid on a second home.    Can anyone advise me please?

Would it be classed as our principal residence if we were living in it at time of sale, and had lived in the house for 2 consecutive years between us, but not at the same time?    Are we assessed together or as  individuals?   Gets complicated !!

[quote user="lilly"]Would it be classed as our principal residence if we were living in it at time of sale, and had lived in the house for 2 consecutive years between us, but not at the same time?    Are we assessed together or as  individuals?   Gets complicated !![/quote]

I doubt it on that basis. Have you completed tax returns in France? or the UK? In the case of ambiguity, a Notaire is likely to use tax residency to establish "primary" residency (although the 2 aren't always connected.

Ask a Notaire!