French Immersion Holiday

My wife and I are fairly competent at speaking French. We are interested in going on a week's holiday specifically to improve our French. Perhaps formal-ish French 'lessons' and conversation groups in the mornings then going on trips in the afternoon or perhaps free time then back base in the evenings to have dinner and carry on speaking French with other fellow guests.

Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing or any recommendations/pointers?

Nick O'D

I have, but it was paid for by the French government as they wanted to schmooze English teachers - I kid you not...

It works well if you are able to have the discipline to speak French in your off-time as well as in classes. I learned a lot, forgot most of it, use it or lose it!

Some years ago I enjoyed an immersion course with Alliance Française in Vendôme (41) staying with a lovely local family (who spoke no English!). This course included lessons in the morning and visits/other activities in the afternoon or evening. I'm fairly certain that many other AF branches throughout France offer similar courses. The other students in my group included Spanish, German, Finnish, Japanese and American with French needing to be our common language.

Otherwise the OU still offer one-week summer schools at the University of Caen including a range of extracurricular events.

Brian