Belleville Rendez-vous

Maggiemortimer

Some of us in our French class discovered that this film was on at a local cinema club last night, so made hasty arrangements to go and see it. None of us knew anything about the film, apart from the fact that this version was billed as having English sub-titles, which we weren't sure about as we wanted to improve our French.
It's a bizarre film, that we really enjoyed, but as for the French - there isn't any! Sylvain Chomet, the creator, decided that only very limited dialogue should be used.
The film will be on BBC2 over Christmas, and is well worth watching. We're hoping for better luck with Etre et Avoir in January.
Maggie
53/06

• 3 months later...
I missed this when it was on tv at Christmas but bought a copy of the dvd in France last week (French title is Les Triplettes de Belleville) and watched it on my laptop while waiting to be picked up at Nottingham East Midlands.

As everyone has said - bizarre. But after a while I realised where the style had come from - it is pure bande dessinee.

The dvd has a filler with someone called M which is an extended and extremely surreal dance to the Belleville tune.

Highly recommended. (Oh dear, is that advertising?)