American remakes

Landix

Really, why do they bother!!!
I saw the remake of ' Les Visiteurs' on Sunday and they really made a mess of it .Took out nearly all the good jokes and aneasthetised it as well.Apparently the Director used a pseudonym, not a good sign.

Director's pseudonyms are always good fun. There is a convention in the cinema that if a director wants his name removed, the studio is supposed to use the name of John Smithers - haven't got a clue why but saw an intetresting snippet about it in Sight and Sound some years ago.

Tony Fuller

>Really, why do they bother!!!
>

They shouldn't! In fact, their should be a law against it. Oh, and on a similar subject, I read today that the Americans are going to make a film entitled "The Few", a remake of the classic, The Battle of Britain. Was too appalled to take much of the article in but apparently Tom Cruise is going to play an American airman who flew with the RAF at the time. So not content with convincing the world's cinema audiences that the Americans were personally responsible for liberating France, and breaking the Enigma Code, they're now going to take the credit for our finest hour.

Margaret

Margaret, wash your mouth out with soap and water or whatever the internet equivalent is.

All self respecting cinephiles read it, all 7 of us - Plus DVD Review, File Review, Hotdog etc etc plus a really good but rather academic UK cinemag on French Films

Tony Fuller

I know it's not French but how could they do a remake of The Italian Job, I refuse to buy the DVD. You just can't replace Micheal Caine, but not many people know that, especially American movie producers it would seem.

As for the Battle of Britain, I didn't know that. They will be doing The Great Escape and Bridge over the River Kwia next. Could be interesting if they got Tom Cruise to play Spike Milligan in Hitler, my part in his downfall (the exact name escapes me but I'm sure you know the book and film I mean)

Chris