Film releases in September

Tonyfuller

Three triple sets of films coming out in September, each set of 3 in one package:

Jean-Luc Goddard: Alphaville; Ene Femme est Une Femme; Le Petit Soldat

Luis Brunel: Belle de Jour; The Diary of a Chambermaid; The Milky Way

Jean Renoir: La Bete Humaine; La Grand Illusion; Le Crime de Monsieur Lange

All available on line from either Virgin or HMV. The version of La Grande Illusion is the shorter version (by about 6 mins) but is worthwhile nevertheless. And Alphaville at last, Eddie Constandine being wonderfully remote.

Belle de Jour, always worth watching - for people with a more robust turn of mind, try Maitresse, available from the BFI, now that IS an adult portion and when you see the reinstated bits (one of which involves a hammer, nails, a piece of wood and a man's wotsits) you'll understand why it was banned - not necessarily agree with the banning but that was then and this is now.

Also available now is La Kermesses heroique, by Jacques Feyder, 1935, which is set in a Flemish town in the early 17th century. I've seen some of it and it's well worth buying if you like French classic films. It's available through the bfi web site.

Tony Fuller

Great tips, Tony. The Grande Illusion I have on video is 110 mins, is that the short or long version? (I think I should be told!) And thank you reminding me about Belle de Jour, haven't watched that in a long time, must fish that out of the back of the cupboard too. I've never seen Renoir's, La Bete Humaine, but would be concerned as I'm quite passionate about the novel. For me it's high on the list of things that make life worth living. M

And just in case you hadn't noticed it , that well known other trilogy " Guerre des Etoiles" is out on DVD. Along with those favourite characters:
Dark Vador
Yann Solo
Err-de Dead-de
Six cee pee oh!!!

I saw that the new film is to be called " Return ( or Revenge) of the Sith." I wonder how the French will cope with this title and pronunciation thereof