Bernard-Henri Levy

letrangere

"A best-selling philosopher, novelist, media pundit, friend of Presidents, intellectual idol of the small screen and companion to a long line of exquisite women".  What else could BHL be apart from French?

I've read several of his books and enjoyed them enormously, now someone has written a rather unkind (aren't they always?) biography.  The review I read in the British press reckons, quite rightly, that in Britain this book couldn't be written because a TV intellectual star is a contradiction in terms.  Also, who in Britain is going to buy a book attacking a philosopher?  No one.  So it's unlikely to ever appear in translation, which is a shame because it apparently tells us an awful lot of about France. 

M

ormx, a few that I've enjoyed.  Writing with Francoise Giroud, "Les Hommes et les Femmes", an interesting discourse written as a true conversation between two individuals.  Also a novel (despite the title), "Les derniers jours de Charles Baudelaire".  I've also read "Impressions d'Asie", which is self-explanatory.   M

Thanks MWJ, might just get one of those ordered now. Love getting a recommendation instead of trying to wade through so many unknown authors trying to decide. Am reading "Une vie francaise" by  Jean-Paul Dubois at the moment but finding it hard going. Marcel Pagnol is my level but it's time to move on methinks!!!

Thanks Ormx.  And I love book recommendations too, especially for contemporary French literature.  I've discovered a very reliable book review section in the women's general interest magazine, Atmospheres (don't know whether your M or F).  Yet another good reason to buy this nice magazine.  Incidentally, I also enjoy Pagnol as do several other Forum members.

Margaret