Le Bonheur est dans le Pré

Christine Animal

Notre cher Vraititi with his Ripoux made me think of another French film, which is worth a thread of its own: Le Bonheur est dans le Pré.

Probably many of you know this film, but for those who don’t it is about a toilet seat manufacturer (Michel Serrault) who has a « ras le bol » with his wife, his business, his problems, the rat race, etc. and ends up happy in the Gers (pays magique) having left his first life behind him. In a way similar to those who have left England for a « dream life » in France.

It is a typical French film, about typical French life, with typical French humour and marvellous French actors: Michel Serrault, Eddy Mitchell, Sabine Azéma, with the participation of Eric Cantona.

It is absolutely « sublime ». We love « fairy tails » and this is one, not to be missed.

Gosh, how I loved this film when it came out in Britain 8 or 9 yrs ago ! to me, this film is the exaltation of life in all its glory, not a thing wrong in this film by the underrated Chatilliez, again a film which did not get the praise and the box-office it'd have merited in France and abroad. Far more than a comedy with a few famous actors set off by a damn good scenario, far more than all that, a film that might make you reassess life's priorities for a while. This film sticks up one majeur to the rest of the humanity and proudly claims: to hell with conventions, health fascists and work !