Vegetarian Mincemeat Recipe

mossie

GG

Can't wait to try your pastry recipe.  I seem to be making goodies to eat practically everyday.  Best thing that happened was when a bread machine that a friend has lent me gave up the ghost and, in my frustration, I tipped the contents out onto the kitchen table and kneaded it, proved it and knocked it down in the old-fashioned way.  Result:  now quite happy to make bread without benefit of machinery!

Goes to show that some potential disasters (cooking ones and others) can be turned around to work for on your behalf![:D]

Well I had a go yesterday.   It looks very strange.   It's very pale - looks like someone has had a good korma, a few pints and then, well, err, been a little under the weather after.   OH has already decided he will give it a miss just from the sight of what's in the jar.    Is that normal (the colour, not OH's reaction !!!).   I even vaguely debated putting some gravy powder in to darken it up a bit.   No idea why that came into my head, probably the only dark coloured thing I have.   Anty thoughts ?

I didn't miss anything out except the peel.    The sugar wasn't very brown, more tan colour, so perhaps that's it.   Also I got a bit confused with the apples, because I don't like apples myself, and I bought granny smiths, thinking they were cooking apples.   OH says not.      It's a bit runny as well actually, hence my gravy powder trend of thought I suppose (!!! if you can take your mind that far).

Might give it another go - what are cooking apples called in french please ?     Will try this one, I suppose I could always buy some dark food colouring .....

You can't get proper cooking apples in France, unless you import your own bramley tree. The nearest I've found is pommes canada which you can get in the supermarkets. They are quite sharp and go mushy when cooked. I've been reading through this thread and my mouth's watering.

Londoneye, if you used the recipe I posted at the start, I am also a little confused.  Home made mincemeat is always paler than the commercial stuff, but I wouldn't call it light.  Also, it is never runny.  Check the recipe carefully and see if you have missed anything out.  One of the previous posters is correct, it gets its colour from all the currants, sultanas etc in it.  Don't stress too much about the apples, any tart-ish apple will do.  I have been making this recipe for years and have never had a problem, so I do suspect that you have either mis-measured something or missed something altogether.  Either way I hope you manage to sort it out, I can't bear to think about all those ingredients going to waste.  Also taste it, does it taste good?  Perhaps you can just add some more dark fruit to it to thicken it up.

Ha - eat your heart out Geordie Girl !!

Well, OK they aren't perfect; not helped by OH being sent out to buy small bun tins and returning with mini-pizza ones, but never mind, he did his best.   They taste OK, considering they look a bit of a fright.   Lids have all come off, I don't know why.

Have made some more filling today, and bought a new jar (instead of the old pickled onion jars which still seem to whiff a bit even when washed), so next lot should be perfect for christmas!

Thanks everyone !!!!!!!

[IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee49/kaycollins_2007/HPIM0443.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing !!

Just not my thing, cooking.    Although, I must say, there is a certain satisfaction in doing something for the first time - my first pastry attempt !

Not convinced I am that enamoured to turn into a cooking convert, but will definitely try to perfect the mince pies ... if you are going to do something you may as well try to do it well.

thanks Geordie Girl, you were a great help - I even sorted out the currants this time - I had that wrong as well !!   Never mind !