sidecars

sidebike

Hi Sidecar, I have been toying with the idea of an outfit for a little while. I will ride one before I buy to make sure I enjoy the experiance. Any advice you can pass on? I missed a cracking triumph 900 scrambler combo a week ago on ebay.

I have very fond memories of motorbikes and sidecars having spent many hours in the 50’s stuck in the back of my dad’s Watsonion child adult sidecar powered by a 600cc Panther. Oh the luxury when they changed to a double adult and I could actually move. Speeding along and standing up when the roof was off, my brother and I would lean across and stare at the speedo creeping towards the magic 60mph. Cries of "faster faster" to our dad sporting Gaberdine mac, Corker helmet and army surplus gauntlets did little to improve the speed, but it was brilliant fun.

I remember well when my brother decided in the 60’s to fit a chair to his BSA B31. Having had the chair fitted at Pride and Clarkes in south London he proceeded to pull away from the near side of the road and promptly collided with a car on the other side. Having dealt with that accident he then went on to scrape down the side of a bus going round Trafalgar Square and had another collision in Kentish Town before arriving home. To say that he looked white when he walked through the door would be an understatement.

I imagine that stability and braking have been vastly improved since those early days but I wonder if they are still as challenging to drive?

I hope perhaps to I have an opportunity to meet up with you at some time or another as I would be greatly interested in seeing your rig and hearing your comments on driving/riding it.

Hi Bugbear

I can understand Mrs BB not being comfy on a sprint were do you put the coffee cup. You are right chairs a very popular in France and yes they are expensive but an equivalent outfit in the uk. would also be a lot of money they are very far removed from the outfits of the past.

I'm in the charente where are you lets meet and chat about some time.       

Hi Snorkel

i loved your account of early sidecar memorys.Your dads gear reminds me of mine around the same time, but i was then riding a 125 trials Bsa bantem and i might have had a acu pudding basin helmet, glad those days are over, after  various other singles and twins i decided to follow the family trend and ride a sidcar outfit so off i went to Sid Lawtons shop in Southampton bought a 700 Enfield Conni. ordered a new Stieb chair and arranged for the shop to fit it on its arrival from the factory.When i collected said outfit  some weeks later i to had some hairy moments on the way home. Still we can talk about that when we meet.

Cheers for now

sidebike