boot and shoe laces

mint

I remember when boot and shoe laces were made with nice, stout metal tips.  Nowadays, they all seem to have useless, brittle pieces of plastic at their ends.

Even my most fancy and expensive pair of walking boots made in Germany, and not Indonesia, have laces with bit a of plastic at the end.  I am obsessive about not treading on the ends of the laces and I tie them up even when the boots are not in use to try and prolong the useful life of the laces.

This morning, when I put the laces back on, after washing them, I can see that the plastic is not going to last as long as the laces which show no sign of wear at all.

Has anyone seen any metal-tipped laces for sale anywhere?  Not that it would help me with the boots because they have a complicated lacing system which require the longest laces ever.

mint you can get metal ends to put on your laces, try the usual suspects .............amazon or ebay.

I've just looked, they are called aglets, I knew they had an odd name and had sort of thought that they were called piglets, that is why I checked.

My husband often melts the end of modern shoe laces, just using a lighter, to stop them fraying.

edit, I agree leather laces in France were expensive last time I bought them for sailing shoes.

UNBELIEVABLE, the way you guys always come up with the answers[:D]

Aglets, eh?  I can just see this word coming up in one of those quizz programmes.  What do you call the tips of shoe laces?  Is it a) aglets b)piglets or c)tiplets?

I am incredulous and very grateful, thank you.

Now to decide whether to have the screw on ones or the ones where you squeeze them together?

[quote user="mint"]UNBELIEVABLE, the way you guys always come up with the answers[:D]

Aglets, eh?  I can just see this word coming up in one of those quizz programmes.  What do you call the tips of shoe laces?  Is it a) aglets b)piglets or c)tiplets?

I am incredulous and very grateful, thank you.

Now to decide whether to have the screw on ones or the ones where you squeeze them together?

[/quote]

Haha, would you believe a bootlace ferrule is a similiar thing but used on electrical cables, as seen in plugs etc before they moulded the plugs on.[geek]

[quote user="Théière"]

Haha, would you believe a bootlace ferrule is a similiar thing but used on electrical cables, as seen in plugs etc before they moulded the plugs on.[geek]

[/quote]

You mean you don't just twist all the wires together and thread it through like you would a with bit of cotton and a needle?

[quote user="mint"][quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]

You mean you don't just twist all the wires together and thread it through like you would a with bit of cotton and a needle?

[/quote]

Yes that's been done for years but should be outlawed as several of the thin wires get extra squashed and others escape around the screw or what ever should be retaining them.  Somewhere the CE marking must have the bootlace end as a regulation.

They once sold the kit in Lidl but nothing since.