permis bateau/cotier etc.

After studying various nautical websites it would appear that current legislation states that leisure boating in coastal areas requires one or two certificates which can be aquired by training at ecole nautiques.Each in the order of 300euros.
It is still unclear however whether either of these applies to vessels with power units of over 50hp.
Could anyone comment on whether any nauutical training in u.k is suffice for pleasure boat usage on french coastal waters and if this is enough to satisfy the french authorities in the event.
Has anyone succesfully used a british registered boat and aquired French insurance/moorings

The international cruising certificate, which can be obtained from the Royal Yachting Association or any of its approved training establishments always used to suffice for coastal cruising. If you have an appropriate RYA qualification, which is always a good idea for a prudent UK skipper, then issue of the ICC is a formality. I suggest you phone the RYA or one of the motor cruising magazines, e.g. Motor Boat and Yachting, to find out the current situation as they have this information readily to hand - at least they did when I worked for them.

French marinas always seem to have plenty of visitor moorings for foreign visitors, though I confess I don't know about longer term use of UK craft. I would imagine if you live in France and/or keep the boat permanently in France you could need French registration and insurance. Again, have a word with the RYA or the magazines. There are many English (and German/Dutch etc) people with holiday homes and boats on the Mediterranean coast and I don't see the requirements as being much different in other bits of France.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I researched this.

You need a permis for a power boat having a motor of more than, I think, 6hp. There is an advanced permis required for powerboats over a certain length.

However sailing boats (defined as boats with sail as main means of propulsion) need no permis up to a length of about 15m.

So, if you have a sailing boat with an engine of 30 hp ........ no permis is required.

Can't tell you much about UK registered boats based down here - I'm French registered. The registration, armament, radio license, etc of boats in France are more regulated than in UK.

If you Email me, I'll ask a friend with a UK registered boat down here how he handles insurance.

Peter

The Languedoc Page : http://tlp.netfirms.com