Pools-Hivernage

Arch

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not an expert on this, but I think if you investigate your local pool-supply shop, builders' merchant or DIY shop, you should be able to see tubs of stuff called Liquide d'Hivernage (or something similar). Amount to add depends on the size of the pool. You also need to take the water level down a foot or so. Leave the empty cannisters floating in the pool to allow any ice that forms to expand without damaging the walls/liner (our pool was a 100 cu m. ice cube last winter). Also it's a good opportunity to get an engineer in to check and service the pumps, filters etc.

If you have a pool supplier nearby, I'm sure they'd be able to advise in more detail.

Giles

John

Yes, we've always used Hivernage and found it to be worth using in keepin the pol sweet for the next season.

As for other steps (copying a previous posting) :

We've found the following works OK for us :

- give the pool a good last vacuum/clean
- backwash/clean both filters
- throw in a bottle of "Hivernage" chemicals that help keep it sweet over the winter
- reduce the water levels as you suggest : to as low a level as you can before the skimmers start drawing air
- drain the filters and leave pipes from filters to pool "open" to help them drain as much as poss
- leave tops off the filters for same reason
- put a plastic mineral water bottle (half filled with stones) in each skimmer to help prevent damage in the event of freezing
- buy and secure a really good quality winter cover/tarpaulin, it may cost a bit (I think ours was 400 - 500 for an 11x5m pool) but nothing compared to the cost of the pool ! Also, buy one with individual straps/bands securing it in place - therefore if one goes bust in a storm the rest should remain in place. Our old one just had one rope that threaded all around the cover, so when one bit frayed/broke in the tempete the entire cover flew off !! A summer blanket is no good in our view : won't keep all the dirt out and will fly off at the first decent storm !

Good luck !

Best wishes

Chris and Martin