Competing horses - GALOP equivalent

I have recently bought a young selle francais (say goodbye to the central heating for another year!!) who I want to compete - a bit of all sorts for her experience, show jumping, dressage and maybe a bit of cross country. What do I need to compete? Initially it will probably be done at riding club level until she knows her job, but the ultimate aim is to notch up a few points before we breed from her in a few years time.

I believe that you need a licence - what is the cheapest way to get this?

I think you also need GALOP 7?... I have my BHSAI stages 1 and 2 - does this count for anything and if so how do I go about converting it, or am I going to have to take my exams again in French?

Also, has anyone found a reasonable way to insure horses in France.

Thanks all, Peta

Hi Peta,
If you click on the folloeing link: http://www.livingfrance.com/dcforum/DCForumID43/45.html
that should take you on to another discussion a while ago regarding the Galop exams. Just scroll through the answers and there is a very detailed one from RichardBK about the way it should be done.
At the end of the day it will depend very much on your riding centre and the examiner. In my case I was awarded the first 5 Galops because of my obvious experience and I only had to do the 6 last winter, which is the last on to test all the disciplines. I never had to do anything other than the practical bit. This winter I am doing the dressage Galop7, and maybe the jumping, as I am essentially a dressage rider and terrified of jumping! You will need the Galop7 in order to compete at an official competition, equ. to affiliated in the UK.

Regards,
Christiane

LAST EDITED ON 24-Nov-03 AT 08:18 AM (GMT)

congratulations on your Selle Francais Peta, I wish you lots of fun!
Re insurance we have ours added to the land and livestock policy that goes with the property insurance. This is not comprehensive however, just third party, so dont really know where you will find full british style cover.....Vet might know? Perhaps you could use a UK firm?
I know nothing about the Galop system either I'm afraid as I no longer compete, but whilst I've got the attention of a few horsey folk, I wondered if anyone knows how strictly these regulations and registrations are instigated at lower levels, such as childrens fun shows, gymkhana or just unaffilitated/family pony type shows for novices which we all enjoyed every summer in the UK?
I hope to run something like this next year if there is enough interest in the normandy region.

After two incidences over the weekend, I often feel that the french ignore or flout most regulations unless someone bothers to report them. Heres what happened:
After moving fields in the normal rotation process, we checked our neighbouring fencing and replaced and repaired several dodgy gaps! There is a young colt (which I didnt look closely enough at the time to realise was uncut!) alone in a small paddock with apalling fencing. Well as soon as he saw new friends over the fence, he broke through, crashed our electric fencing and ran around like a thing possessed in our field. We did the polite thing and received thanks and apologies when the owner arrived home after the usual 2 hour lunch out. Yesterday the darn thing climbed a 3metre high earth mound boundary which ran on our side of the fence in front of his fencing and did the 'derby bank' down to our side again. Fortunately I have no mares!!!!!!!!!!!
My point is, and sorry to ramble irrelevantly, that an ungelded 3yr old, alone in a small paddock is a liability to all concerned and should it be licensed as a stallion? Its a nice horse but not stallion quality.
My other point is that due to welcome gift from said neighbour of an expensive bottle best of Calvados, I discovered he was uninsured, and had two mares in foal to the blighter!

http://ukgrapevine.monsite.wanadoo.fr

>
>Also, has anyone found a reasonable
>way to insure horses in
>France.

we use AXA to insure our competition ponies, but it is not cheap at around 3.5% of value/per year - and this is only against death. Including incapacity is more expensive, but we were in fact advised against this by the AXA agent (a friend of ours) as the claiming for this is extremely difficult and is usually unsatisfatcory in terms of payout. E.g there are often disputes as to whether the condition was known, how much incapacity there really is etc etc. Searching around the prices and condiitions are much the same for other insurance companies.

You can also add in vet bills on insurance, but since the threshold for claiming is quite high and the payouts limited we decided against this.

regs

Richard

>
>Thanks all, Peta

• 2 weeks later...
I am just posting a quick addition/correction. I checked today how much I paid for my licence and it was'only' 36 and NOT 75 as I mentioned further down. I got confused between my licence and the cotisation, i.e. club membership.
So, there you have it, licence for adult 36 and below, I think it was 29.

Christiane