Quad Bikes - on/off road

We have a couple of quad bikes and so far have only used them on our own land. However, we have seen others driving (with crash helmets) on the local roads and on the old tracks/lanes. Can anyone do this or do we need special licences/insurances, etc. The quads do not appear to have reg plates but.
Anyone have any ideas or info as quite fancy exploring all our local tracks a bit further than the distances we reach on foot.
Thanks
Mike

Technically you have to register the quad and get it a plate and then it is legal for the road or indeed any right of way.

If it is not regd then you cannot use on the road or in fact anywhere other than private land (i.e. no nice old lanes).

In France you can get both road legal registerable machines and non road legal. My neighbour treated himself to one at Christmas and his kids (14 and 17) are permanently banging up and down from their place to ours but it is illegal and I do hope that there is not a sadness as unjuries can be a lot worse than from coming off a trail bike. That said (I have trail bikes you understand) I cannot help argeeing that they are a hoot, but in the claggy stuff they are much more hard work.

To get about on it a bit more you need to get a trailer and soem friends with great expanses of land (like my neighbour) and play there.

Oh and don't even think about trying to register it.

Stephen (19)