VTT

Hi to anyone out there. We are moving to a small village near Audierne in Finistere, hopefully by this coming September. Husband is a, soon to be 60, mountain biker, who would like to have company occasionally on his jaunts into the wilderness. Is there anyone in this region of like mind. Also does anyone know of any  cycling groups that meet regularly that he could join?

Fandango

First off, mountainbiking in France is great, you're in the right place. Secondly, have a look at www.velovert.com or www.velo101.com and check out the events - there are randonees going on in spring, summer and autumn and that's a good way to get into the local network of riders. They're also brilliant for discovering new trails, getting to know the local area, and they almost always end up with sausage, wine and cheese at 11am in the village square.

Many thanks for your help. Have looked at both sites but there isn't very much close to us . I hope others weren't put off by his age as he is extremely fit and  has cycled anything from 25 to 60 miles ! (Unlike me who manages a mile or so, on the flat, and has to give up!)

So if there is anyone out there do make contact with me.

Fandango

• 4 weeks later...

Chin up.  Don't worry about age (I'm older) and have had great pleasure connecting with a couple of local (French) biking buddies here.  Both road and VTT.  I speak bicycle very well but not yet so with the French and they no English at all.  They're quite a bit younger.  Doesn't matter, performance does.

They do VTT in winter and happily offered me a spare when I visited in Jan.

Good people.  Lived their whole life here and know all the nooks and crannies.  No doubt helps that my wife is French but not this area.  Smile [:)]

Thanks for the encouragement! Husband very sociable, though not  very good at the French language, so I'm sure he will find someone to ride with eventually. We did see a couple of French bikers and their bikes were actually muddy which cheered him up no end!

Fandango