Apartments - need for a survey

Not sure quite what you mean by 'surveys' but apartments are subject to the same technical survey as for other types of building (lead, asbestos, termites, electrical, energy efficiency etc) paid for by the owner/vendor, plus confirmation of the square metres of livable space. Regarding the common parts of, say, an apartment block, you can consult the minutes of the syndic (building managers) for information on recent works done (exterior/interior painting, lift, roof etc) or scheduled (for which you will inherit your share of the costs).

Regarding your second post about the mix of occupiers, contentions can arise between owners and renters, particularly if the latter are short term or seasonal. Owners tend to care more about the building (for which they pay the charges), renters less so - and owners who let their apartments are responsible for the conduct of their tenants and summary expulsions of rowdy holidaymakers, for example, are not unknown.

You can check a building for signs of (seasonal) occupation - outside the season, closed shutters and lack of occupants, during the season typical mix of holidaymakers, and balconies covered in beach towels! The latter are however forbidden by the building managers of the block I live in, but these and other rules are generally ignored by (or unknown to) seasonal renters.

Hope this helps to answer some of your queries, and if in doubt there is no substitute for careful research before you buy - P-D de R.

Thanks for that. In England it is possible to look for the 'signs' that would put you off buying a place. Those signs don't apply or rather you don't recognise them in the same way in France.

Survey wise in the UK I would get a surveyor to have a look around - but actually in a flat I would get the lowest cost superficial one. In France having a flat surveyed seems to be unknown probably as there is access to the relevant material.

I would prefer to ask stupid questions now rather than regret not having taken the time out to ask!