Using a RIB boat in France?

Devon

I would like to bring my 5.5m RIB fitted with a 100hp outboard over to France for a few weeks in the summer. My insurance covers me for public liability in Europe. Can anyone tell me if I need anything else to use the boat whilst on holiday near La Rochelle?

Any Info appreciated [:)]

It depends where and how you want to use the boat. You need to carry evidence of insurance, and French rules also ask for registration documents. As registration is not necessary for boats in the UK this might make it awkward, but evidence of ownership should suffice. Unless you plan to drive a French-registered boat during your visit you should not need an International Certificate of Competence for coastal use - though as your engine is over 50hp you may find that under French rules you will need some sort of qualification. If you want to go inland, or visit the Mediterranean coast, then you will need a licence. You should of course fly a French courtesy flag.

Best to check with the RYA  - though you need to be a member to get country-specific information. It's a very long time since I took a RIB to France.

Interesting all the bits of paper one has to have to mess about on boats in France comapred to the UK.

In the summer we get lots of UK registered peniches on our canal, I know that the skippers have to have the right bit of paper or they wont be allowed through the sea lock, but anyone that is capable of crossing the channel in a peniche must surely be competent or need certifying!

A company has started doing holiday rentals of penichettes, they are owned by the British company European Boating Holiday (sic) and they seem to have worked their way around the regulations by giving each hirer a one hour formation, interestingly despite substantial marketing in France all of the rentals have been to English clients, I guess the French just think "I dont have the right to do that as I dont hold the permis".