Gunneras (?sp)

Mitchikins

Has anyone got any Gunneras?

I would like to have some as they are so weird/amazing looking but don't know much about them.

We've got a couple of watery areas they might do well in but come the summer will I regret having them sucking up all the moisture? (as the water levels get quite low).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Bonne journe!

(Wishing I was in France, but being linked to you all via this site from the office is the nearest I can get right now).

M x (dept 50)

I haven't got any but they do grow well round here so I would think they would be OK in 50 as well. They get to be absolutely huge as you know and I heard someone mention on one of the gardening programmes that it is a plant to avoid if you see a small pot not realising that it gets several metres high and the same in diameter.

If you have the space give it a try.

Liz (29)

I initially bought a Gunny from Magazine Vert (a garden centre in Brittany) and unfortunately with last summers high temperatures with accompanying drought - it did not take, again I bought another one from same place in January (they look like rhubarb plants and admittedly they are deceptive size wise, it was not too expensive (I could be wrong but I am sure it was well under 10 euros - and this time it has taken but they do grow enormously so you would have to consider the shade factor and the fact they are not a "touchy feely plant" they have a rough leaf and a spiky stem. They can be divided once established by dividing the crown (so it tells me in my gardening book).

Maggi