when to plant

Patter

when having drinks round our neighbours the other week, we got onto the subject of gardening, he was saying that in France their is a correct time to plant things, for instance potatoes have to be planted on March the 14th, I think thats what he said, I am on the understanding that its all to do with the moon.

Does any one know more about this and could they give me more information.

Many thanks.

tricia b

p.s. i have trailed through the arrives but cant find anything relevant.

If you live in France you could buy the gardening magazine Rustica which has a section each week on gardening by the moon. They also produce a calendar which I think has just come out. Yes I've just found it  - I could send you it if you like. But potatoes aren't mentioned for March 14th. Pat. 

I bought a copy of 'Jardinez avec la Lune' - Celeste by Rustica Editions - you can order this on www.amazon.fr or you can find them in garden centres.Blue and yellow cover, I have one every year as they function as a diary and tell you what to plant daily.  At the back there is also a day by day diary to fill in with records of temperatures, rain, wind etc.  I really find it good to look back on previous years.  They are produced by the same company as mentioned in the previous posting which has a weekly magazine to subscribe to, this diary is a cheaper alternative.

Mainly though I tend to plant what and when my neighbours plant as they have been doing it for years and know the weather and the conditions.  I always walk around the allotments that I cannot see from the road in the local villages.

My bathroom is full of plants at the moment....very tropical...a necessity due to this late cold weather.