plants/shrubs for pool area

Guest CFrost

Guest CFrost

Hi all, sorry if this has been 'asked to death'! but we will shortly take possesion of our house in France We will be putting a pool in the garden area, which will be terraced, and I would like to pick the forums collective brain on what are the best trees/plants that will survive in tubs and borders and not make too much mess with losing foliage (hubby is concerned about the pool filters!).  Although I am quite 'green fingered in the uk' I know very little about the french plants etc.  We will be moving to the charente maritime if this helps with climate!

Thanks a bunch in advance for what is a long winded request!

Kimberley

Hi, we're in Charente Maritime too and have tried lots of combo's over the years but in the end we now just put tons of geraniums in pots ( like most of the locals do!) around the pool area. It gets sooo hot in summer that most other things need just too much watering,and of course water becomes scarce in summer!We have a fig nearby and the leaves are a problem in late summer,and an elder and the berries make a mess of the plage( they stain it purple!!).

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Kimberley,

We live in the Charente and have a walled garden around our pool, Although we live here permanently and I adore gardening, I have planted all mediterranean (is that how you spell it?) stuff that can withstand the heat of the summer, is as tough as old boots, good value for money and doesn't need loads of attention and watering. I would suggest Lavender (lots of), Rosemary, Ceanothus, Budleias, Canna lillies, Olives, Rudbeckia, Nasturtiums and hardy geraniums plus, of course, tender geraniums in pots. When you're starting your planting, it may well be worth your while to lay a porous membrane over the soil and plant through the holes, then you can cover the membrane with a thick covering of pine bark chippings - this will keep the weeds down and the water in. There are loads of plants to choose from out here but there are a couple of very good books on the subject that are available in the UK. Have fun!

Mary