Well water analysis

Jackie

Following on from an earlier posting of mine about well water and watering the veg plot, we have had the following analysis of our well water.

Chemical content all well within safe norms except Nitrites being a little high 0.15 mg/l Norm <0.1. The bacteria content however is > 1000 germs /ml where the norm at 22 degrees is <100 and ditto at 37 degrees where the norm is <20. Coliforms at 150 / 100 ml where the norm is zero, no E. Coli and >200 Faecal Streptococcus where the norm is zero. Clostridium is 5 / 100ml where the norm is <2 and no salmonella. From what I have read the Coliforms are only indicators of water quality and are not dangerous in themselves. Accepting that salad crops and anything eaten uncooked would need careful washing, my question remains the same, do plants take up bacteria through their root system? Everything I have read so far would indicate not. So can I use this water for the veg plot. We use manure on the plot so what difference is there between this and using well water contaminated with animal waste? We have no intention of drinking the stuff but I could chuck some chlorine tablets down the well if this is needed but what effect would this have on the plants? I would be very grateful for any informed opinion or experience......................John not Jackie