importing plants

debbiet

Just planning our move to Deux Sevres and wondering if it is possible to take garden plants.  I have taken cuttings from my favourites and am hoping they will flourish in France.  Does anybody know what the rules are for importing plants?

Debbie T

Hi Debbie

We imported a high-top Transit van full of plants last year with no problem.  As long as they are for your own garden, not for resale, there are no restrictions EXCEPT that rhododendrons, azaleas, oaks (big van needed) are not allowed in case they carry 'sudden oak death' disease.  There is a leaflet about this on the DEFRA website.

Hope that helps!

Phil & Jude

Hi Debbie,

We too brought over several large plants from our garden including 4 large acers and a couple of spikey tropical plants in July this year. Apparently customs looked in the van and were not in the least bit interested in the plants - or any of our other belongings i hasten to add.

Good luck with your move

Kate

We bought a load of plants over last April and more in October and have also bought some from a nusery in England 12 poplars 40 willows and approx 60 asstd hedging bare rot bushes - not a problem anywhere with customs or anywhere else

Happy Planting

James

For certain species you need a phytosanitary (plant health) certificate when importing from anywhere outside the EC to anywhere inside the EC.  Full details of restricted material and plant species are available in English at DEFRA, as I mentioned above.  Here's the link to the full import guide:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/publicat/importer/impguide1.pdf

and the shorter, travellers guide:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/publicat/impguid.pdf

Same rules apply here as in the UK when importing from outside EC, so as regards packets of seed you are allowed 5 packets of commercial seed from Oz.  Sounds like yours aren't commercially bought, but as you've already brought them in anyway, and as long as it's not a dodgy plant likely to clog the waterways or escape into the countryside, I guess you may as well give them a try.  What are they, out of curiosity?

HTH