Conifer question.

Les

Does anyone know the name of the large blueish looking conifer trees found in France? and the very pretty conifer that looks like Walt Disney would draw. Maybe it's a Cedar Dodora!

Do any readers know of a good garden centre in the Mayenne 53 area. We have 7.5 acres to turn into a garden so will  need quite a few plants.

Many regards. Les & Di.

Silly me.

Yes, the Avatar is a Jubilee. Thought you were talking about trees!!!

The Loco was at the Crewe works festival last Sept along with about 24 other steamers.

Great to see. Just like the old days. I'm giving up driving to retire early to France and I know I will miss it. Still got the model ones though!

Regards. Les.

Deodar Cedar has a bluey tinge but not all that blue.  The ends of the shoot tips droop downwards.  Bark very dark brown-black.  It's a big tree up to 40 metres high and 10 metres across at the lower branches.

Does it look like a Xmas tree in which case could be Picea Glauca?  Blue-to-grey needles. 15 metres tall.

Phil

There's another cedar which is very blue if you're after a big beggar like cedrus deodara.  Cedrus Atlantica glauca (Blue Atlas Cedar) - same size, blue-silver with a silvery grey, deeply cut bark.  Both are RHS award winners.  Don't know pepinieres in Mayenne but there's one south of Ballon on the road to Le Mans that sells virtually every type of tree and shrub you could want.  We went with a list of 20 shrubs and they had all bar a couple.  If you can't find what you want closer to home let me know and I'll dig out the name and number.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

We have a place in Cigne near Ambrieres Les Vallees so Le Mans is not too far away.

We have 7.5 acres to make into a garden so a few shrubs will also come in handy.

Regards. Les.

Well, just in case you can't find what you want closer to home I've dug out the details of the pepiniere I was thinking of near Ballon - it is actually at Courceboeufs on the road from there to Le Mans.  Tel 02 43 27 32 01 to see if they have what you need - they are very good on Latin names!  They have fax 02 43 27 23 20 but not email.  Good luck  - sounds like you've an awful lot on your hands!

Phil