gardening a gite

Pun

I have put this same question on the gite thread so please dont think Ive misplaced it here,

Question what happens ref watering hanging baskets/cutting the lawns ect when customers are in the gite ,

do you the owner have a visit to do these jobs,? it,s been in the 100, here dept 23 today and Ive had to water three times.

If it's that hot wouldn't have thought that you'd have to cut the grass anyway.

As for the hanging baskets, unless you ask the customers to do it for you - and they're probably staying with you to get away from all that - I would have thought that as they're your baskets, tubs, whatever, it's down to you to water them.

Thank you for your reply,

I asked what other people did, and the grass grows  slower in the heat but we do have rain!

and I do understand the ownership of the hanging baskets, the question was how did people with gites arrange watering,

I wanted an experienced reply, but thanks for yours,

Pun

We do it; grass when necessary, and hanging baskets every evening. We wouldn't want, or expect, anyone to get the mower out, and if we want the basket flowers to survive it's necessary to see to it yourself that they get sufficient regular water.

Sid

Hi Sid,

Many thanks for your valued reply, Its one of those questions your faced with if your thinking of having a gite,

we are doing a place up now and have been for nearly a year and it was a question we needed a little help with as the future gite has a large garden and we do want that wow factor for the customer,

hence the question, and very well answered, once again thank you.

Pun have you thought about drip water feeders which you attach to your out side tap on a timer switch. this would mean you dont have to go  every day and you could just check them on the days you come to cut the lawn?[:)] 

Hi Pun - we have baskets and tubs at each gite - I usually say to customers something like 'I do water the baskets and tubs but it's really difficult to give then sufficient water in this heat, if you could give them some extra from time to time then it would really help and might prevent me from coming into your garden and disturbing your privacy in early morning or evening'.  Most customers rise to the occasion and say they are happy to do their own - I leave a watering can in a prominent position (many customers like to have privacy I think and if I did them it would be likely to be when they were sitting out having breakfast or evening meal, so that's part of the attraction of doing thier own).  We never use water to water the grass - it dies!  But when the grass is growing we always cut it while customers are out.

Hi JHC,

Many thanks, youve given me a lot of good ideas,

It might have sounded like a real daft question, but we,ve done hell and all to make this place have that wow factor and this includes very much the outside area, but plants etc dont look after themselves particuarly hanging ones,

As we dont know anyone who has a  gite, and the gite site have,nt given any reply, my only hope of getting any expert on the job help was from that likes of you and Pads,

sometimes after you,ve been pointed in the correct direction you think "why didnt think of that one.

once again thanks.

Hi Pads,

I hadnt thought of this method but it on the top of my list,

we feel by the time we.ve done the cleaning and change of bedding ect if the weather isnt kind to us and we cant get the lawns cut etc,

if this was to be repeated on the next change over and again we couldnt cut the lawns, it wouldnt be long befor the place looks un loved for the people arriving for a nice holiday with the place looking at its best,

and this being France, window box,s full of geraniums all looking good is a must, hence our concern about how do other folk deal with this issue.

many thanks for your valued help,

ps we are getting there[;-)]

[quote user="Pun"]

Thank you for your reply,

I asked what other people did, and the grass grows  slower in the heat but we do have rain!

and I do understand the ownership of the hanging baskets, the question was how did people with gites arrange watering,

I wanted an experienced reply, but thanks for yours,

[/quote]

You had rain ????

Which bit of 23 are you in ? We haven't seen a drop in our part since the storm blew through about 4 or 5 week's ago !