vegatable garden

billy10

Hi forum,

I have a perfect area of about 6 metres by 20 metres which would make a lovely veg garden , however the only concern I have is that it is also the drain field for my fosse septic, My question is can I plant crops such as carrots, peas, sweetcorn, broad beans,runner beans spinach etc etc , or will it not be a good idea to plant these crops where grey water is draining which in essence is a diluted human sewage, has anyone ant ideas on this ???????

Regards

Billy10    dept 36 Indre

[quote user="billy10"]

Hi forum,

I have a perfect area of about 6 metres by 20 metres which would make a lovely veg garden , however the only concern I have is that it is also the drain field for my fosse septic, My question is can I plant crops such as carrots, peas, sweetcorn, broad beans,runner beans spinach etc etc , or will it not be a good idea to plant these crops where grey water is draining which in essence is a diluted human sewage, has anyone ant ideas on this ???????

Regards

Billy10    dept 36 Indre

[/quote]

Yes, I guarantee that you will have the most enormous carrots above all else. All the other veggies will do phenomenally well also. I have had direct experience of this. In Asia it is a recognised way of growing a good supply of vegetables. If you research a little you will find plenty of information online concerning this. As for is it a good idea, from the health point of view I cannot comment other than to say my family and I survived 2 years of crops grown in this way.

One of the oldest forms of manure in Europe is 'night soil', the waste that was collected every night by traders and then recycked.  In the Uk you can buy refined human waste - looks like a grey powder - from many sweage works.

I'd also check out what the effect of the chemicals that you put into your fosse may have - Eparcyl and the like.

We've a couple of fruit trees that grow on our wet area from the fosse and they're fine and dandy tho when we had our recent inspection the nice lady inspector suggested that they were growing in the wrong place!

From a microbiological point of view, the harmful bacteria (eg E coli) are not very likely to be a problem as they should remain in the fosse. As the liquid from the fosse percolates through the spoil it is purified. In a good treatment process, theoretically the liquid becomes drinkable (but I prefer beer!).