Ride on mower belt adjustment

napoleon

I have a third hand sit on mower which has had a hard time cutting my grass. It has recently been unable to ascend some short, steep inclines due to drive belt slippage. I realise that there are many different designs out there but, in general, is it likely that there is a mechanism to allow me to tighten the belt? I have an Electrolux generic drawing but no handbook. It looks as if the only adjustment may be by moving the whole motor system.

I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks, Alistair

Thanks Dave. There is a spring tensioner on the drive belt for the cutter but the propulsion drive belt is just linking the two pulleys between the motor and gearbox. I had suspected that it was simply wear and tear but hoped to avoid buying a new belt and stripping the mower to put in on.

Looks like a morning working before mowing again.

Alistair

Hmm, its direct between motor and back axle? normally they have the variator for the different speeds and a clutch mechanism which normally just releases the tension allowing it to slip.

If yours is direct to the back axle its probably a hydrostatic gearbox/axle assembly. If so, check the gearbox oil level before going further....it might need topped up or changed if its gone thin and smells burnt.

The belt could still be worn too, though.

That sounds worth checking. I have never checked the gearbox oil level and will now try to find out the operating principle to help assess the potential problem. Unfortunately all that will have to wait for our next visit in July.