Should we or not?

Percy

We are looking to pack up in the UK and buy a b&b, small hotel in france. I have a couple of questions:
It sounds from this forum that it is almost impossible to run a b&b as a sole source of profit. Is this the case?
What is the difference between b&b and chambre d'hotes. Is it also correct that more than 6 rooms classes as a hotel.

>It sounds from this forum that
>it is almost impossible to
>run a b&b as a
>sole source of profit. Is
>this the case?

That's what "they" say. Although every case is (bound to be) different. Only you can do the maths.

>What is the difference between b&b
>and chambre d'hotes.

Nothing .......
Is it
>also correct that more than
>6 rooms classes as a
>hotel.

Yes, although I thought is was 5 (letting rooms).

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

SNIP
>It sounds from this forum that
>it is almost impossible to
>run a b&b as a
>sole source of profit. Is
>this the case?

How long is a piece of string? Joking aside there are many different things to put in the equation so it's not really a simple answer. However try, Will you have a morgage, what type of property and what are the maintance costs, will you use a cash and carry and is it near, location is important and can it sustain opening nearly all year and there are probably an hundred and one other things to look at.

>What is the difference between b&b
>and chambre d'hotes.

Chambres D'Hote differs from B&B in that, in it's purest sense, you live with a family but pay for your room. You don't by default get a breakfast and as such you would expect to pay extra for it. Many people (myself included) run a bastardised version, half B&B and half CDH which works rather well..... so far.

Is it
>also correct that more than
>6 rooms classes as a
>hotel.

Five letting rooms is the maximum.

Hope this helps a little

Chris

Thanks everyone, this website is excellent and your advice much appreciated. We are hoping! to move earlyish next year without requiring a mortgage but will be touch and go. We are looking for a property that offers up to 5 rooms plus land where we are contemplating a camp site. This obviously brings the added cost of power and shower blocks but should generate more revenue particularly if we can include a small bar/cafe. No doubt I will be back for more advice!