Setting up B&B

Hi everyone,

We own a huge house in the Dordogne and it is about time it started to pay for itself.

Can someone please tell me the CORRECT way of setting up a B&B.

We intend to have just 3 rooms available, just do breakfast (no table d'hote). It won't be posh, just basic B&B in a wonderful setting (I hope).

I have been told so many different things about setting up a B&B that I've got totally confuddled.

Hope someone out there can help.

Clare

go to the local Chamber of Commerce, tell them what you want to do and they will sign you up. Once you ahve done this, then you will get hit with a load of tax/health related bills. This I think is the proper way - its what we did. Alternatively, stick a sign outsided the house and open the doors!
Graham

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I hope this will help. I opened a B & B at Easter near Bordeaux in the Pessac Leognan wine region. Like you, I found it difficult to find out the rules and regulations to be doing it right and legal. It seems that there is not yet a legislation regarding chambres d'hotes. However, I registered with the local Mairie, town hall in english as this is the first thing to do. You have to ensure you tell the mairie you are going to open a chambres d'hotes. It is recommended to be accredited as it gives you security, and it gives your visitors the same. I joined Clevacances and they have been brilliant at helping me and giving me advice regarding tax, what to do about nearly everything. There are other like Gite de France and Fleur de Soleil. If you are interested, please let me know and I will gladly give you their directions. We, too have a simple, but warm and welcoming B & B and it is a real pleasure. Of course, since I am french it is easy for me to get known, but my husband is english and we are going to join something like french connections to get guests from UK, too. Any more advice? Just ask!!!!!!!!!!