A big Thanks...

Just like to say thank you for all your replys to my questions..It all sounds very rosy when its not on paper, it's only when we started working all the figures out, it was hitting home..we have decided to rent a house in france and i myself register as a builder.

Once again thank you all.........(Not so petrified)

Well done, exactly the right decision.

You have just avoided the greatest pitfall that so many make when they come to France with an idea and have not done their research. The percentage of people moving abroad (not just France) that fail is reasonably high, most of whom have 'burnt their bridges' as it where and life becomes a nightmare. We actual know of somebody (they attended our French lessons) who came over to set up a B&B and got some very bad advice and did not do their homework. After the first year they were forced to sell and return to the UK with very little money left. But then for every one that fails there are two that make it, these are normally the ones who have done their homework and sought sound advice. Luck also plays a very big part, I would not be so conceited as to say we got it all right but lady luck did shine on us, after three heart attacks and loosing both my parents somebody somewhere decided to be kind.

Please keep in touch when you move as I, and I am sure others, would be very happy to hear how things are going. Don’t forget to search the forum about setting up as a builder there is quite a bit of good information here.

I wish you the best of luck and good fortune.

Well done for sensible decision and taking everyone's comments so well.  If more people did the amount of research you obviously have, there would be far less tales of woe.

Hope it works out for you and hopefully next year you can changed your registered name to 'Confident' or something like that!  As Chris said, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Maggi

Hi,

I will just add my €0.02 worth to what others have said. I'm sure you've made the right decision. Just for your information, you might like to read the thread called "what do you really think of France" or similar in General Discussion/Postbag. We've been reading there of the sad tale of woe of someone who moved to France hoping to live off 2 gites. It could be that you've avoided a similar disastrous experience.

Best of luck, and by all means do get in touch when you get over here. We're under 100 km from Limoges. If you look in the "Regions of France/Central France" forum, you will find that there are quite a few people living in the area, who seem a really nice bunch, and no doubt would be happy to help out all they can.

Best of Luck

It's definitely much better to go into the figures as you have done. As everyone has been saying, there are a lot of people who come over here with no research and end up having to leave which is really sad.

Not to pour any more cold water on your projects, but... don't forget to check that you have enough money etc. to tide you over until the time that your building enterprise generates enough work to support you. If you're ever down as far as us (outside Perpignan), do drop in and say "hi" (and maybe you could look at this wall that needs a door in it...)

Arnold