Accueillir Magazine

We get a free copy sent since we joind GDF and Clévacances but we don't know why and if it's because we are a member of either or both as we never had it before. There are some interesting bits and pieces and some interesting advertising for things you might want to run your B&B that you might not find elswhere like smoking machines for smoking food etc. There was a artical about 'dressing' rooms which was interesting. I think I would like it more if my French was better. I will try and dig one out and post it to you I'm sure I have one somewhere.

I've never heard of it.  All we get from GdF is a quarterly GdF bullletin - and we only received our first copy of that last week!  So maybe you get it as part of your Clévacances subs?

How long have you been with both orgs, Quillan?  GdF were only forced to cave in on their exclusivity constraint earlier this year, I thought.  Are you now getting more enquiries through GdF or through Clévacances?  I ask because we were thinking of joining Clé as well.

Thanks, Cerise.  Some of the articles look potentially interesting; I see individual copies can also be bought for 7.5 euros. 

Having seen it, Quillan, and if you didn't somehow get it free (?), would you pay 35 euros for 6 issues a year?

Phil

We've just been sent a free copy to encourage us to subscribe and we're only with GdF, so that's presumabley where they got our details.

The mai/juin copy has an interesting article on the legal position if you've been sent a deposit, but I need to get my dictionary out to check out its finer points!  Given that it's only 8 sides of print, including the front and back cover, it seems mighty pricey.

Jan

We are registered with three main compainies, GDF, Clévacances and BNB France. We simply took the other signs down when one came to inspect. We were adviced that we could 'get away with it' if we did this but we were also warned at the time that if it was discovered we would be thrown out although it was highly unlikely. Anyway we only joined GDF last year and after the recent ruling it no longer matters.

The magazine I thought would, as I said, be a lot better read if my French was better. Somebody asked about Cheque Employ, there was an artical about the recent changes and how it impacts on B&B's and Gites in the Jan/Feb 2006 issue. The magazines tends to be around 45 pages in size. It is probably (I think) the only independant magazine in France for B&B owners and if my French was better I think I would subscribe.

Maggi - I have just racked out a copy and will put it in the post tomorrow so we can get another opinion fom somebody that reads French a lot better than I.

I still can't work out how I got it by the way.

I too have the 8 page thing - it says it only an 'extrait'   I'll read Quillan's copy when it arrives and let you know what I think.  Looks potentially interesting but no idea how long it has been going etc.  Obviously no-one else here yet reads it so will be interested to see full copy.

The magazine has arrived and looks quite interesting.  When the current guests depart (don't ask - they are of the 'don't go to any trouble for me, but .....' variety) I will read, digest and give you a report.  On quick glance I think I will subscribe for a year as it looks as if it might be worthwhile - so log as your French is good.

Chris - which chocolate cake do you want me to make?

Lachouette - if you pm me your address I'll send it on to you after and perhaps you could pass it on to Cassis so we could all have a look before buying. 

[quote user="Cerise"]

The magazine has arrived and looks quite interesting.  When the current guests depart (don't ask - they are of the 'don't go to any trouble for me, but .....' variety) I will read, digest and give you a report.  On quick glance I think I will subscribe for a year as it looks as if it might be worthwhile - so log as your French is good.

Chris - which chocolate cake do you want me to make?

Lachouette - if you pm me your address I'll send it on to you after and perhaps you could pass it on to Cassis so we could all have a look before buying. 

[/quote]

I'd appreciate it. 

In fact, I am not that bothered about having the 'latest' edition tout de suite.  Anybody fancy splitting the cost for a subscription and mailing us edition 1 when edition 2 arrives, etc?  Or vice versa?

Phil

Me again.  Sent guests on VERY long day out and persuaded them that they would like to stay out to dinner.  Waved off  friend to Greece all ready for Air France to lose her luggage again.  Walked dogs, put in washing, done ironing, cleaned bathrooms and now taking 5 minutes off to sit down and type.  Have read most of the magazine and must say it seems quite helpful for anyone who is setting up provided they have a good standard of French. 

As this is the first edition there is a lot in it about starting out, building a website etc.  Some of the things seem a bit odd such as the recipes (indeed delicious) for very rich chocolate cakes which it suggests you might want to serve for breakfast!  They seem more like scrummy puds to me and can't imagine even French guests (who do tend to have sweeter teeth (toothes??)) wanting anything that gooey for breakfast.   Large article on 'La Clef Verte'  which is a 'green' label for tourism - interesting for all those who are environmentally aware.  There is a featured CdH - in Dept 14 run by French couple and interestingly without 'label' as the owners say they prefer simply advertising on internet.

The magazine is new and I get the impression it is finding its feet.  Some of the things it talks about seem more appropriate to the hotel trade than CdH, eg can't imagine too many of us spending 3966 Euros on a refrigerated trolley for breakfasts!!  However, overall think it is probably interesting and have decided I will try it for a year.

Phil I will send you a pm as we can probably share. (this may be much later as someone has just arrived at the front door)

Maggi

[quote user="Cerise"]

Some of the things seem a bit odd such as the recipes (indeed delicious) for very rich chocolate cakes which it suggests you might want to serve for breakfast!  They seem more like scrummy puds to me and can't imagine even French guests (who do tend to have sweeter teeth (toothes??)) wanting anything that gooey for breakfast. 

[/quote]

I imagine this would go down well with German and Austrian guests!

As somebody who works in publishing, I'd say treat it with caution, your money is probably being thrown away. If they are offering free or very cheap advertising (i.e. significantly under the competition's rates, rather than a big percentage discount on an already inflated figure) it may be worth a try. But otherwise, there are all too many magazines, directories etc that are only too happy to take money, they may even print a few for distribution to advertisers or at exhibitions etc, but your advertisement is unlikely to be seen by many potential clients. Go for established titles, with verified circulation figures through a reputable independent body like ABC.

OK, I know it's tough on new launches, and it's a chicken and egg situation, but circulation is the name of the game. Treat salespersons' claims with scepticism, unless they can prove conclusively that your advertisement will be seen by the people you want to attract.

No, I don't work for Archant (that publishes Living France, France Magazine etc and hosts this site).

Thanks Cerise, that makes it sound more interesting (and useful). The warning still stands as there are so many dodgy magazines and directories around, in Europe as well as in England. Glad this apparently isn't one of them.