Chambre d'hotes Lose Tax Break?

Do you not pay any then?  I understood that tax d'habitation was not charged but professional tax was levied instead, I had no idea that some chambre d'hote paid no tax fonciere either. 

What ever you were doing this is indeed saying that all must be paid now it would seem.  There are lots of knowledgeable CdC runners on here, someone will know.

We pay nothing as the local mairie has allowed us to claim exemption, although I believe we do not pay tax d'habitation because our income is low. I cannot be fully sure of the rules. I have tried speaking to the mairie this afternoon, but they are not open.

Ar present we pay Tax Fonciere, Tax d'habitation but only for our TV licence and Tax Professional and we have heard nothing to the contrary (yet).

As I mentioned we have a (regional) meeting later this month at the C of C run by the Office of Tourism, perhaps something will be said then. To be honest over the last 12 months there have been quite a few 'scare stories' both on the web and in news papers both in France and the UK about different, very important, issues most of which have been either misleading or totally incorrect (I'm thinking health and car registration).

If you are registered (and I suspect you are) then you will be contacted about this if it's correct. Other than that as it's the government there will either be a Decret or an amendment to a Decret (think that's the right spelling)  so if somebody can point you in the direction of one and you can see for yourself I would ignore it for the moment. If you do find one can you let us know the number, thanks.

My understanding is that this is a new introduction!  The Winter 07/08 edition of the Gites de France national newletter announces that under certain conditions rural gites and chambres d'hôtes can be let off part of the payment of their taxe d'habitation but as the new law (Loi de finances pour 2007, les articles 1383 E bis et 1407 111 du code général) was announced so late it's possible that it will not be in operation during the first year.  To benefit this year, the form had to be filled in and sent off before 31 December 07!

If you go to the 'particuliers' part of www.impots.gouv.fr and type chambres d'hôtes into the search facility, the article in question comes up, along with the necessary forms and notice.

Jan

I have now heard back from IFP. They have stated that it results from a new internal tax regulation, in something called  'bulletin official des impots'. They have now had more guidance on it from the tax authority, with an update on their site. Apparently, the new rule will definitely apply to all shared spaces in the property. So, for instance, only bedrooms used exclusively by guests will be able to get exemption, not the whole property as at present. It looks to me like a nightmare in paperwork!

Well our mairie have finally come back to me as they knew nothing about this themselves. It seems that a change is in the wind, and that the exemption we have had in the past is going to be removed, at least for that part of the accommodation we occupy ourselves. I have no idea how much that will cost us but we are considering all moving into the back room:)