Transportation of mobile home

emerald

Hi Emerald,

We recently bought a static from canvasholidays and they arranged delivery, as it was August they had to do a whole lot of phoning around to find a company who had a spare driver and carrier, so they must have a huge database of companies which offer transportation.

I gather the costs were around £700 for transportation from Bordeaux to the North Dordogne.

Perhaps it is worth contacting them and asking them if they could give you a list of phone numbers?

Their website is www.canvasholidays.com and we were in contact with a guy called Mick Briggs who was very hepful indeed. I think his email address and phone number are on the website under "ex-rental sales".

Hello Penny.  Many thanks for your reply.  I have now cancelled the purchase of the mobile home and applied to buy one from Mick Briggs.  Just wondered, as we will not be able to view before purchase, if you were happy with the condition, and cleanliness of yours on arrival and whether everything you were promised re: delivery, etc. was fulfilled?  We have had our fingers burnt on the last one - hence the caution!!  Once again, many thanks for your help. 

Emerald ( Dept. 56 ):

Hi Emerald,

Ha - think I need to ask Msr Briggs for some commission on sales.

No, you won't be disappointed - we also bought unseen and were delighted with the model which arrived here. As a matter of course I cleaned the van from top to bottom when it arrived but have to say that, apart from surface dust on the floor when they had been preparing it for transportation, the van was exceptionally clean - not even a trace of dirt in the overhead lockers or behind the loo!

Yes, there were some broken things - very minor - such as a broken knob on the gas hob, a crack in the bathroom ceiling vent, a broken water fixing and a worn out electric fan. Each replacement component was dispatched quickly by Mick Briggs and reached us within 3 days.

Check your plumbing fixings carefully, though, cos our builder said the broken water fixing-thingummy was caused by the caravan not being closed down properly at the end of last winter, causing the wotsit to crack. Also check window blinds and fly screens as these can often be on their way out after a few seasons of heavy use on a commercial site - again, Mick will happily replace if you are not happy.

Which model are you buying? We got the Festival 26 for £2995 with free transportation up to £500.

Emerald,

Sorry, forgot to add that all replacement parts were sent to us free of charge.

The delivery? Well. we did have a problem with it as they initially said 10 days but it ended up as 21, although this was bang in the middle of August with not a French haulier in sight for weeks, and Mick Briggs himself was on holiday when the problems surfaced. However, when they finally got a date for us the caravan arrived exactly when they said it would, almost to the minute.

Hello Penny.  Sounds like you are a lady after my own heart.  I understand all about thingummies and whatsit's and yes, I think Mr Briggs owes you a drink!!     Have'nt heard back from him yet, but only emailed him yesterday.  I've requested information on the Willerby 28 - must be a new line for him as there is not much information on the net, but sounds just what we need, also £2995 + TAV. Don't know whether we will get a deal on delivery but the Willerby's are already in Brittany so it should'nt be too horrendous.

Thanks for letting us know your experience - it sounds like he is a good guy to deal with.  Lets hope that we are lucky this time!!  

Emerald ( 56 )