Gite gardening question

Pun

whats the score ref the watering of hanging baskets /the garden etc when people have rented the gite for a couple of weeks etc,

do you have an arrangement to go and water/cut the lawns ect ?

Hi cassis,

have you ever walked through a village or town in France that has no window box,s or hanging baskets?

Ask your self if you arrived at a gite you,d booked and befor you even got out of the car that wow, factor hit you because the owner took the trouble to ensure you recieved a welcome of refreshments, a garden you want to spend time in and every window had a display of geraniums hanging from it.

Or no effort made and a feeling that the gite was nothing special?

I know the one I,d want to be at.

No I haven't and we have loads of pots and boxes ourselves - look at our website - but we are here full time to look after them.  Unless you have someone to water them every day then hanging baskets are soon going to look crap - in that case it is much better if you can plant stuff in the ground where they can take up water themselves, that is what I am saying.  Otherwise invest in an automatic watering system. 

Hanging baskets are the worst - they evaporate water in every direction.  Plastic lining helps but not a lot.

check out www.garden-watering.com  you can have a constant drip feed of water from a water butt cutting out the need for a timer on a tap, this will keep them moist all the time so to stop the dry out/soaking problem.

Saint Casis I bet you could come up with some better sites for this? 

Or did some one just catch you on a hula hoop stall

I'm with Cassis on this.  As a B&B we have hanging baskets and window boxes to make the house look pretty but a gite would be a totally different matter; at the moment, even in Normandy, we are watering twice a day due to the extreme weather conditions.  Don't know what we'd do if it was a gite.