Tanning products - stains?

Jo Taylor

Yes! On a rental property owners forum these stains have recently been discussed endlessly! I've had to bin a few of the new white towels I bought last year as it is proving impossible to get rid of the stains and it is cheaper to buy new ones than send them to the Pressing (which is no guarantee of getting rid of them). I'm only buying coloured towels in future.

Someone reported succeeding in removing the stains from bed linen by soaking it is commercial strength sodium bicarbonate for 4/5 days, so you could try this. Tanning products are proving a headache outside as well - we still have an ugly yellow/green tide mark around the pool that was left last year and is impossible to remove.

Has anyone tried Vanish Oxiaction - it seems to remove most things.  Comes in spray, soak and tablet form.  I don't know if we've had this problem, though we had light brown/tan coloured stains on the white bathtowels which we thought was lots of makeup and nothing else would shift - bleach, bicarb, etc. - but could have been fake tan, now you mention it.  Vanish moved those.

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't actually experienced it yet (pale & interesting guests!). A friend has had it happen several times, also another owner she knows. Never happened before this current season. Their dogs are also benefitting! I think she tried Vanish Oxi, but I'll pass on the bicarb suggestion. Bleach, soaking, boiling didn't work. She now has a notice in big letters to say that the cost of replacement of any stained bedlinen or towels WILL be deducted from the security deposit.

Apparently there are varying degrees of staining according to whether it's the moisturiser with tanning stuff in (washes out with a bit of elbow grease), or a spray, or the bronzers contained in some sun protection lotions.

Cheers,
Jo

[quote user="SusanAH"]

Tanning products are proving a headache outside as well - we still have an ugly yellow/green tide mark around the pool that was left last year and is impossible to remove.

[/quote]

We are not gite owners, but this may help?

We got some non foaming soap solution from Poolguy and it has taken the sunscreen mucky line off of our pool from when my daughter and family were over. Nice cool job standing in the pool and scrubbing it off with the soap and a cloth. What ever you do don't try a foaming soap of any kind or you will have the biggest foam bath in France!!![:-))] And that IS difficult to remove, so I've been told?

John