New to all things French

Phillipe Flop

Hi All

New to Gites, France and the forum so please bear with me.

Over the past few weeks, I have been looking into the idea of purchaseing property in France with the view of renting out. Obviously, this wont happen over night and I wont be rushing into anything, but would like some information from you knowledgable people.. The biggest questions on my lips are : Is it possible to own and operate a Gite from the UK? What are the pitfalls? Who claims my tax, the French goverment or the English goverment or both!!!! ? 

I have read other threads in this section and have read things like Gites being left dirty and over populated areas. Are there any other problems? Vandalism? Theft by clients?

In fact any information would be most welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Phillipe, have a browse through the topics on this forum - most of your queries have been covered.

As for your 'biggest questions':

Is it possible to own and operate a Gite from the UK?

Yes, but you'll need a responsible caretaker.

What are the pitfalls?

Many.

Who claims my tax, the French goverment or the English goverment or both!!!! ? 

All letting income is taxed in France. It must also be declared in the UK but there is a double-taxation treaty which means you won't be taxed twice.

I have read other threads in this section and have read things like Gites being left dirty and over populated areas. Are there any other problems? Vandalism? Theft by clients?

The first is why you need a caretaker. Over-populated areas - you'll need to research what is letting, where and why. If you're buying purely for investment rather than as a second home this will be your most important task. Vandalism and theft, I think most will agree, are rare, but again highlights the need for a responsible caretaker.