Pool Cover - Winter

Yorkie

We now have our new house complete with pool.

My earlier posting about leaving the pool for weeks on end was answered thanks.

We left the pool 4 weeks with 650g blocks of chorine and the pump running 24 hrs and last week when we returned every thing was fine ... except lots of leaves.

Our cover is automatic made from plastic slats that roll up.

The previous owner never used a winter cover.

Has anyone not used a winter cover ? Are they really necessary.

If I have to buy one then so be it but he says he never used one in 10 years.

Thanks

Yorkie

Hi

it depends where you are.

Not only does the cover keep leaves out, it acts as an insulation against freezing.

Here (Languedoc) it is a mixed reply. A few people leave the pool open, and clean it throughout the winter. The majority cover it and run the filter for 1 hr overnight to circulate the water as a defense against freezing. No one empties the pool.

I've got some notes on pools here : http://tlp.netfirms.com/pool.htm

Peter

"A few people leave the pool open, and clean it throughout the winter. The majority cover it and run the filter for 1 hr overnight to circulate the water as a defense against freezing."

Everyone might have different opinion as to what action should be taken over the winter months. The use of a couple of large plastic bottles left floating in the pool will almost certainly prevent ice damage to the pool itself . However, the more serious side is leaving the pump, filter and pipes connected as the cost and likehood of expensive  freezing damage is more likely to happen in this area. 

Any good professional pool company winterising, will always disconnect as above.

Baz