Fencing a river?

Mrh74

Hi,

I've tried searching but can't find anything on the subject of requirements for fencing for a river? I'm aware that swimming pools need to be fenced off, but does anyone know if there is a similar requirement for a river? We have a small river that runs across the bottom of our garden which is not fenced off and I would like to know if it should be? Any views on this?

Cheers

Mark

To my knowledge there is no rule on river/pond fencing or else the whole country would be behind wire!

We have a stretch of river, plus an unfenced pond, together with an expensively fenced pool.

The river is FAR more dangerous than the pool and I warn all visitors with children when they arrive.

Em

We have the river Aude going down two sides of our property and we are talking white water here. They don't raft past my property but one or two wave as they pass when they have missed the getting out point, next stop the hyroelectric power station for Quillan.

We don't fence it and there are no rules to fence it, we run a B&B by the way. Not liking children much it's a grat excuse to turn families away with young children. I point out that the kids will get to Quillan fast by river if they fall in than the parents can drive there by car.

There is one point. If there are fish in the river some areas give right of access to fishermen which is, I believe, a 2M strip down each side of the river. We don't have this but if you are in doubt you can write to your local prefecture to find out. If you do have this strip you will have to place your fence 2M (or whatever) back from the river to give access. The strip was originally for the loggers to move logs down rivers but since they have used lorries in more recent times the strip is manitained for the fishermen.