Swimming pool safety

pig

WE will be letting our property for the first time this year. We have fitted an AFNOR approved cover, and will include instructions to the guests that it should be used AT ALL TIMES the pool is left unattended. But where do we stand legally if they do not use the cover as requested, and an accident happens. (We are not on site)

Hmmm,

Personally I don't know that I would be comfortable depending on holidaymakers closing a cover if I were letting my property.

This is one of those questions that, I am afraid, will be answered over time by precedent in the courts. you might want to look at Hendo's well explained and reasoned argument about 'due diligence' in a reply in the thread 'where can I find the regulations'

His point, to summarise, was that a court may ask - did you display due diligence in the choice of dispositif de securite.

You mention an approved cover, but how long does it take to close and secure? If it's an electric roll out one, people might use it, although it's a shocking bore whenever you go in for lunch or pop to the boulangerie etc. If it is a manually operated one the chances of anyone closing it are pretty slim.

So is it your final responsibility? You can argue that the regulations say that a cover is sufficient. In a discussion with the authorities on a purely theoretical basis I am sure that you would be fine. In the event that your tenants didn't close it and a child drowned I fear that they might ask some unpleasant questions.

Thanks for your comments Richard. I didn't mention but the pool is also fenced in, with a gate, but these are not 'approved'. They were put up some time ago purely for our own peace of mind.