Hard covers for pools

Jackie

As an alternative to expensive fencing we are considering the possibility of a hard/child proof cover for the pool. Has anyone any experiences with these, good or bad. How easy are they to put on and get off compared with a floating summer cover say, as we would have to put it in place anytime the pool was not in use. Links to info sites would be helpful...........Many thanks in anticipation.........John not Jackie

We have one on order that will be delivered next wednesday the 25th 

It is in 6 sections and can be supported on the becquiles to half height or full standing height, as few or as many as required which I can do single handedly in seconds.  Similarly as few or as many sections can be removed - one person each side needed. At its highest point it is 70cm from the terrace and so does not need planning permission.  It will put upto about 10 degrees on the water depending on ambient conditions and it will keep debris from entering the water.  I could enter by the sliding door and swim enclosed, which I intend to do off season, infact nearly all year round. And of course it complies with the pool regs.

We looked at the sliding abri bas but by design the sections are of different heights and we prefered the clean lines of this one.

Looks interesting, is there a web site for this one? I assume that you can install it yourself. Thanks for coming back on this..............I would also be interested if anyone has had experience of the hard covers that you roll up to one end  or any other type of hard cover that complies with the new safety regs...................John

[quote]Looks interesting, is there a web site for this one? I assume that you can install it yourself. Thanks for coming back on this..............I would also be interested if anyone has had experience of t...[/quote]

Yes, there is a web site:

http://www.abri-integral.com/

It will be delivered and installed though it would be easy to install yourself I guess (drilling into margelle to put in the fixing bits).

Our pool refurb: http://our-new-pool-build.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

We moved into a property 18 months ago which already had a pool with a hard cover, rather like the abri decribed but I would think an earlier version. The frame is metal and very heavy; the 'legs' have to be stored separately and it takes two of us to lift and lower each section when they are inserted. The sections are not designed to be removed and stacked on each other and it would in any case take four people to carry each section. Because it is so hard to manoevre, last year we left the cover on most of the time and used the hatch to enter the pool. This meant the water became too hot (over 35c at one point) and as the pool is difficult to clean properly with the cover on, it is a perfect breeding ground for algae. We had a horrendous infestation in the autumn which took a long time and cost a lot of money to clear. We now have the cover open most of the time - fortunately one of us is almost always here or otherwise the safety aspects would be more or less negated.

It sounds as though things have moved on enormously since our pool was built (about 5 years ago) and I am very tempted to look into replacing the cover with a lighter weight version sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Val

Hi

Just so I don't bother everyone with a PM there is enough interest to post a comment on Abri/Canopies.

They are of course the ultimate in pool protection and serve more than the one purpose as has been pointed out.

Security: they certainly conform with ANFOR standards and therefore provide compliance.

Heating: They are very effective to heat water and keep hot when the temperature drops of that sudden fall of rain.

Debris: They do a great job in keeping airborne dust and debris out of the pool so that the cleaning is down to a minimum.

They are very expensive though as an item being nearly €9-10,000 for an average 10x5 pool. Each pool needs to be individually measured and a devis prepared. Naturally there are all sorts of makers and qualities so you get what you pay for.

The down side is that you can not really enjoy the look of your pool without the canopy on as it has to be replace when your not in the pool. It also can become quite hot inside in summer so you have to open them up and stay with them a while just to ventilate and let some heat escape.

You need to be able to manhandle them when you want a swim... even the 'telescopic' system needs a bit of a push to open up the pool. As for the system based on raised leaves some of them are quite heavy... smaller is better in my opinion.

For all of that I am not sure a fence and winter cover is not a better (and cheaper) option. If anyone wants more information then please PM and I'll be happy to help.

Andrew