Extending a Swimming Pool

Is it feasible to extend an existing pool, by which I mean cost effective over starting agin.

I suspect I know the answer to this by intuition!!

Pool in question is 7.5 x 3.5 m oval, it would be nice to go to 11-15 m purely for length swimming purposes, the surrounding area is flat.

Alternatively, can the endless swimming devices be fitted retrospectively?  How much do they cost?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

anything is possible ?

But, it is worth remembering that costs rise with the m3 of the pool.

And it it isn't just the cost of chemicals : it is the increased capacity pump and filter that you will need and increased electricity costs to run them. And if you have electric or gas heating .......... phew !

I've got a few notes about pools here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/living/languedoc-living-pools.htm

Peter

Peter

Hi pool girl (couldn't resist that one)

Interesting question, but I'm afraid it raises more questions than answers. for instance, in order to determine the cost effectiveness of a pool extension we need to know:

1. what the pool is made of (if its anything other then concrete the answer will be:No)

2. What is the capacity of the pump and filter: they will probably have to be replaced with larger capacity unit.

3. What is the age of the pipework and configuration

4. Is there a liner or is it tiled.

5. I'm sure that there was a question 5?

6. How much do you want to spend?

7. Have you got a lot of money?

8. Do you have some sentimental attachment to your existing pool that would preclude say: its total destruction and a new one built from scratch?

9. Do you think that a pool which is 6 times larger than the one you have will meet your needs?

With answers to these perhaps we can get closer to the proposition.

But if you want a cheaper alternative a power current machine could give you some benefit, but it depends also on the answers above.

Recently a poster proposed a bungy cord stretched across the pool which is attached to the waist which would give the same effect and of course it would be cheaper again. That's lateral thinking.

I am not much help on this occasion but perhaps a second go might be more helpful.

Andrew

I had a feeling that cost would be the major major hurdle!!  I'm also guilty in the fact that we're looking at houses, and don't actually own the pool in question.

I saw the bungee tied to a tree tip, love it!!

Thank you both for all the advice, esp the basic lowdown on "cost to run a small pool" and a very comprehensive "tip list" from pool guy.  I only picked pool girl as my sign on as I wanted to ask a Q re pools