deleted

Katt

Kathie,

We are in the process of a new house build in 82, and we have been quoted under 22k Euro for a conventionally built 10 x 5 pool + Roman end + including all fttings, installation etc. This does not include any terrasse work however. Other types of pool may be cheaper, but we did not explore those seriously.

The devis was provided by Big Mat in Montauban and we are very happy with it. Their service in other matters has been really excellent to date, and I have seen examples of their work.

From talking to others, including French people, this seems a fair quote. They did make a site inspection before quoting, which I am told, not everyone does, which seems a bit daft to me.

Best regards,

Roger

Kathie

there are a number of options open to you but It depends on what it is you are looking for.

for example what is most important:

do you want the cheapest price - could be as low as 13,300euro TTC

Is it design - you could spend more than 30,000 if you want something landscaped and sexy

Is it the shape- if its rectangular you want then add another 10k to the first price

Is it the best quality pure water - another 4K on top of what you choose

Which security device do you want, Alarm, Fence, Cover, abri?

Will there be any terrace work or retaiing walls?

Do you want it heated to extend your swimming time?

Roman steps, diving well, extra lights, robot vac, leaf skimmers and are a lot of extras whcih make owning a pool easier and more fun.

Will you be living there or visiting for holidays?

PM me if you want the discuss these and more details

Andrew

Hi Kathie,

the cost of your pool will also depend if you intend having one installed for you or if you are going to have a go at installing yourself.

There are dozens of different pool types available in France so although price is always a factor, the quality of the equipment supplied with a pool should be considered. You don't want to be stuck with something you can't get fixed if you get any problems.

Water treatment is something I would suggest you think about before purchasing, there are numerous options but not all of these may be appropriate if you have particular concerns regarding your sons excema. You will find several people on this forum who can help you with this subject.

The 'venetian blind' covers you refer to are AFNOR approved security devices, however it is always best to choose products which have also received homologation by the LNE (Laboritoire National d'Essai) as there are covers coming in from countries like Italy with self certification and although they may be cheaper they will not have gone through the same degree of testing as those with the LNE stamp of approval.

Although I understand your concearns regarding fences, they are in my mind one of the best forms of security to have, particularly if you are not always in attendance, a security cover must be put back on the pool when it is left unattended so although it can be the only form of security device if it isn't put back on when the pool is left unattended, ultimately the responsibility lies with the proprietor.

The other advantage to these types of covers is that they do the job of a summer and winter cover so in effect you get three things in one, a security device, summer and winter cover.

It should be remembered that all these security devices cannot replace the vigilence and supervision of a responsible adult when it comes to keeping under fives under control and out of any danger.

You can spend as much as you like on a pool, there is always something else you can add that bumps the price up but an 8 x 4 pool should cost you between 12 - 25k installed depending on your specifications. You can get an 8 x 4 pool to fit yourself from around 5k.

I hope you will find something suitable, at the end of the day you will see something you like and I am sure you will find plenty to choose from, take your time and weigh up all your options, it costs nothing to look !

Best Regards

Lee C

• 2 weeks later...
Beware the costs very easily creep up.  It also depends on construction, shape, whether you DIY etc as has been said already.  We have a virtually maintenance free pool, 10 x 5 with Roman steps, automatic cleaner, floodlights and  and automatic chemical sampling/dosing system, a solar powered AFNOR approved roller security cover, brick built/tiled roof pool house housing filter and chemicals, landscaping and tiled surround, a years chemical supply and pool man who comes to open up in spring and close up for winter.  Over the period from inital digging of the hole to final completion I reckon we have spent fast approaching €40k!  However, it is by far the nicest pool I have seen and my guests love it.  It is worth spending as much as you can sensibly afford (our bank manager paid for most of ours!!)  I don't think it is worth cutting corners when it comes to such an important asset and would advise people to pay a professional to do a really decent job.  I know we haven't regretted it.  (I wince when I see that figure though [:$] )

• 2 weeks later...
I agree Nicola you do

have a very nice pool and set up well for your business.

Its worth noting that when you are operating a Gite then your pool comes within

the purview of the DDASS and there are some issues to consider with respect to

water quality and the cleanliness of the surrounds. Its a point which is often

missed by many who aspire to the dream - "couple of Gites with a pool, ...

no worries we'll rake it in". There are known measures to take but its

worth finding out about them in advance rather than, being forced to change

later on from an inappropriate choice.

As I have posted in another thread, environmental laws will add to these

issues, so think very hard before buying into a salt/chlorination system for

example, for you might find yourself in a tricky spot later on. Also spas are becoming

the flavour of the month, but these more than swimming pools are very difficult

to maintain within the norms and automatic testing and dosing is neigh on

mandatory if you want to keep it clean.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Andrew