Algae on tile grouting

Anton

We have a tiled pool that is 6 x 10m. The pool is 4 years old. We've always had this problem right from the start but finding it increasingly difficult to manage but we have more and more revolting black algae on the tile grouting.

It's a salt pool and chlorine and ph levels all seem normal.  Anyone got any similar problems? Any ideas for trying to get rid of it?  We have a robot roaming the floor of the pool and use a brush to scrub the walls but I feel as if we're fighting a losing battle!

Thanks for any feedback and/or advice.

Our pool is a lot older and has the same problem so I would appreciate help too but I have another problem with the tiles - some have come off and are missing. Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements (blue 2cm sq.ceramic) and what type of adhesives and grout are used to fix them?

I used to brush the algae off with a wire brush (stainless steel) which was quite effective on really bad areas, but I think it removes the grout and make both problems worse!!

Advice welcomed.....thanks

• 1 month later...
A good method is to put about 2 - 4 handfulls of small 20gm chlor pastilles into the pool and with a net or similar push them over the afected area and leave them for a few days this cures the problem. Wire brushing will make the situation worse as it leaves small channels in the grout (and even the tiles) where algae can grow. I have also been told that if you take the PH level down to below 6.8 for 24 hours this will kill of algae, never tried this method though.

We have lived here for seven years, and for the first five we had no problems at all with the tiled pool.  In the last couple of years we have had endless problems. 

Originally when the algae started growing, we thought it was due to the age of the grout in the pool and that it was just wearing away so we emptied the pool, re-grouted (nightmare job!) and thought it would be the end of our problems.  It wasn't. 

Last winter was a disaster with a green pool that would not respond to any treatment, despite having done the same as every other year when it would have remained crystal clear.  Having spent fortunes on all the 'normal' treatments, our swimming pool shop finally said 'you will have to use what they use in the big local pool - sodium hyperchlorite'.  This cost a princely 12 euros for 50 litres and cleared the pool including all the algae in the grout.  And yes, we were told to drop the Ph to under 6.8 before doing it.

The algae has gradually been coming back through the summer and we have tried to keep it at bay but it will be back to the shop today to get another dose.  We did it a few weeks ago but forgot to drop the Ph and it didn't have nearly the same effect.

The other effective remedy for localised black algae on the bottom of the pool is  Bayrol Chlorifix 100 which you sprinkle on and leave overnight and it will be gone in the morning.  Unfortunately, not possible to use on the walls.

It has taken two years to work out that the problem coincided with the laying of the slabs around the pool, which was previously surrounded by gravel..  The pool was built with no marjelles (?) so all surface water including that from the roof of the adjacent gite falls into the pool, also including the run off from all the hanging baskets.  This autumn we will be putting up gutters and laying marjelles and hopefully this might help the problem.  Unless anybody knows any different........!

Thanks very much for your feedback!  I'll definitely give this a try. I looked on a few web sites but couldn't find sodium hypochlorite. Do you have a brand name of the product you bought?

We were also going to try and regrout this winter, so I'm glad that I read your posting and we can avoid this awful job!

thanks again

[quote user="Anton"]

I looked on a few web sites but couldn't find sodium hypochlorite.

[/quote]

Sodium hypochlorite (also known as liquid bleach) is used for water treatment and as disinfectant in swimming pools, hope this helps. One word of warning be careful when using  it.

Baz