DesJoyaux Piscines

Has anyone any experience of DesJoyaux pools? Just on the off chance I popped into an outlet in Montauban today in the hope of seeing the owner (I kind of know him a bit). He wasn't there so I had a chat with a women who runs it and she explained their concept etc..

What I found interesting was they have a very different filter system to what I have seen/had before - they dont use a pool room to host the pump but the system is built into the steps. For a standard 8x4m pool with patio / pump / lights / steps etc.. she told me the maximum price (installed) was around 15k Euros. I thought this was quite resonable and as I know the owner would expect a decent discount on this.

Am I missing something? Is this system not a good idea? They told me (perhaps sales speel) but others were now trying to copy their concept.

hmmmmmmmm

Hi

just worth saying that I look after one of these pools.

It has a sort of filter bag which is cleaned with a pressure hose and replaced rather than the usual sand filter.

This one was installed in summer, and the liner was fitted too tight so that it tore during winter contraction after 5 years.

Without any bottom grid, it is difficult to circulate the water in winter to prevent ice formation.

The pump is fully exposed to low temps, and should be removed in winter to be safe.

Also there is no way to pump out excess rainwater.

The aftersales seems to be quite expensive.

Otherwise it seems to work OK.

Peter

Sounds a bit like the kit pool we bought from "waterair". The pump is mounted, in ground, at one end of the pool and is removed (easily) for the winter. Filter system is a fabric bag which is changed/washed about once a month. It has an overflow pipe for excess rainwater but needs a separate pump if you need to lower the level. We are pleased with it and have been using for three seasons without major problems. Total price in 2002 about €12000 plus quite a lot of physical effort. 

http://www.waterair.fr/waterair/dyn/

Hi

here, it rarely freezes. Many leave the pool filtration on for a couple of hours at ,say, 03.00 to circulate the warmer water from the bottom of the pool. This stops water in the pump/filter from freezing.

With Desjoyaux, it is better to remove the pump for the winter. The filter system needs a little bit more work than a sand system, but is effective. And the torn liner is a function of the local installers skills.

The owners are happy with it.

Peter

Dear Euromotorshop,

I have a 10m x 5m plus roman end DesJoyuaux pool and is fitted with a heat pump heater which seems a very efficient way of heating. It was here when we moved in. It seems a good pool, easy to keep clean. We have two sets of filter bags so one can be cleaned while the other set is in place. I use the flexible hose supplied with the pool for vacuuming the bottom, as a siphon during the winter to lower the water level as there is no overflow or drain, it is very simple to do. The drawbacks I find are that when I went to the office in Poitiers once I found the woman on duty quite superior and unhelpful and I suspect that spare parts may be expensive. Two plastic rings which retain the filter bags have broken and require replacement though I have bodged them for the time being. Because the steps/pump/filter unit intrudes into the pool space it will be more difficult and therefore more expensive to fit a simple pool safety cover. Because the pump is vulnerable to freezing (and here it has been down to -8 so far this winter), if you were to use an electronic pool alarm such as Aquasensor where the pool must not be covered the whole year round, the pump would have to be working 24 hours a day and at 1.1kw a significant cost plus chemicals to keep the pool clean. With my experience so far were I to order a pool in the future I would definitely get a pool where all pump and filter equipment were separate from the pool surround.

Regards, Michael

HHHHHHHMMMMMM…….

It is very

difficult for me to contribute to this thread as I have a vested interest and

most who have read my previous posts know that I am pool professional but not

with Desjoyeux. My difficulty is that it is not my habit to criticize competitors

products, or engage in negative marketing in any way.

I will

however raise issues in a general sense which I believe should be brought to

the attention of consumers. In this case I will confine my comments to 2 issues

which concern me, out of a long list which merely run contrary to my

preferences. Certainly not the same thing.

The First

issue is common to a number of different brands not just Desjoyeux. It’s a

consequence of mounting all of the pool filtration and pumps beside the pool.

Its that the mains power (220-240v) supply is reticulated to a chamber not 40cm

from the waters edge. Moreover the cover of the pump and filter house is part

of the ladder and entry to the pool. So with a lot of water around it does not

give me a lot of comfort to have these two things: water and electricity, so

close together. It is certainly true that the Desjoyeux has a fiberglass

molded  housing with water resistant lid

for all these parts. However, I visited one Desjoyeux where, as a consequence

of a perhaps boisterous or a very large person had cracked the lid. I was being

asked to install a Pool controller and after I open the hatch to get to the

electrical connection I found it half full of water. This is only a problem

with the mains supply as most of the other electrical cord is either water

tight sealed or low voltage rendering it quiet harmless. But to have the main

supply in contact with the pool water gave us all quite a scare. In most cases

this supply should be well away from the pool which would be quite safe.

The second

issue is common to many quite large companies that have concessionaires all

over the country. They have the buying power to distribute a range of chemicals

along with their pools and insist that these are the only products which can be

used in their pools, which is of course, absolute nonsense. It is well known

that the products required to keep your pool clean are quite cheap and yet

these proprietary products cost a disproportionate sum. This I believe takes

unfair advantage of the consumer who, once informed of their choices often feel

quite cheated. I spoken to one elderly lady who was spending more then 800 euro

per year on proprietary products, I offered her better treatment for 86 euro

per year. She was happy for that but angry at the insistence of the Company

that her pool would not work with any other product but theirs. They were using

scare tactics which I deplore.

During the

course of visiting many pools I am encountering an ever increasing number of

owners who have gripes with one company or another, mainly about pool after

sale service. I urge any new owner or potential owner to check what is on

offer. Demand the service you would expect with any other large purchase – a

car, a house or another thing. Its unfair for companies to be able to ignore

their customers after the last cheque has been cashed. It also unfair not to

inform owners of their options and make them aware of how their pool and the

various systems actually work – ‘read the manual’ just doesn’t cut it with me.

These

topics will not go away I know and they are a view from my position in the

industry. I nevertheless hope that it is of benefit to owners and potential

owners that they be discussed in open forum. Its vital that there are

improvements to the industry and I cannot see another way at this time to

achieve that.

Andrew

• 7 months later...

Regarding Desjoyeux pools and other replies, I purchased a DEsjoyeux pool three seasons ago and have full experiance from the concept to completion . This is the third season of operation and I can comment as follows. The desjoyeux system is fairly simple to operate using a cotton filter bag, in normal usage I would change it three times a week . I have three bags which I pressure wash together 15 mins max, pool chemicals I use Le eclerc or Auchan products which are fine. The pool is ovaline and has roman steps at the shallow end , I would never ever contemplate using the filter steps as a route into or out of the pool . I do know of someone with a ten year old system the steps which appear more robust are the only exit and they have cracked however the filter system has worked very well for the ten years, so if you buy one get the roman steps . My pool has an overflow pipe and anyway you have a secondry pipe which can be connected and the pump will empty whatever you wish. The pump is removed after each season however you need to clean check clean and when necessary lubricate its also safe for the winter. It is true the electrics are in the filter section but mine has a safety cutout and more likely to have a problem with rain water than pool water. So all in all Im very happy. I did not want a rectangular pool with difficult acces that I have seen many times in France .

There was a Desjoyaux pool already installed at our house when we bought it and it is of the type described above - 10x5 with roman steps. In addition we have a large abri (also installed by the previous owners) so the pool is kept cleaner and warmer - we normally only have it fully retracted in July and August. We have not removed the pump in winter but keep the water circulating for 6 hours per day. Water temperature has not fallen below 8° even when air temperature has been down to -7°. We have not had any mechanical problems yet but algae have been a problem. This may be due to our own inexperience of controlling the pool chemicals. Be aware that the chlorine tablets can be bought with or without "stabilisateur" and I think that the supermarket varieties tend to be with. As a result, we ended up with a pool which was chemically saturated and the chlorine tablets were ineffective leading to algae. With this system you should replace one third of the water each spring to avoid chemical saturation. You must use a submersible pump and place it at the deepest point of the pool. The abri is fine unless it snows as it cannot take a lot of weight. In the event of snow it has to be opened!

Our experience of the nearest shop - Pamiers - has not been great as they gave us wrong advice more than once but we have found a better pool equipment shop. There is certainly no need to use their products. I have no idea what the total cost would be but I've heard from others that the cost of installing any terrace surrounding can be high so a lot depends on the size of the terrace surround that you require.

Jan Laury

Geri, we have a DesJoyaux pool which cost 26,000 euros including the summer cover and an alarm.  We do not have the filter system in the steps but in a separate compartment at the end of the pool also we have roman steps at the other end at the side.  Someone said you cannot pump excess water out, you can and it is easy with a hose attachment.  We robot clean the pool twice a weeks and clean the filter bags once a week.