To Winterise or Not?

JJ

This will be my third winter in the Charente Maritime, and for the past two I have not winterised the pool, but just kept it ticking over with a few hours filtration overnight to stop the system freezing. It can get to minus 15 here. It is a salt water pool as well, and salt freezes at a lower temp.

However, this winter I am considering winterising the pool, and how to do it properly which has been discussed at length on this forum.

It might just save me fussing and worrying about everything freezing up.

I know a lot of people do winterise, and in some regions there is not really any choice.

But I would be interested to see what others think.

A diificult one, anyone have the same dilemma, or am I thinking about it too much?

You say it can get to -15, so freezing is quite possible. If your pool or pipe work  froze then the repair costs could be extremely expensive. Why take a risk, winterise the water, lower the water level, float on the water some partially stone filled plastic bottles. Drain down the filter and adjoining pipes and if pump not protected remove and put in a dry place. Place small plastic bottle in skimmer sump in case it fills with rain water. Less than an hours work and you are safe. During winterisation keep an eye on the water level  especially if there is  lot of rain and lower water level if necessary with a portable pump.

Open up again in late March and  let pump run possibly just at night, add chemicals as necessary and you should have clear pool for the summer.

Baz