Pool Renovation Advice

NickG

We have an existing in-ground pool in need of renovation at our house in the Haute Pyrenees (65) and need some advice...

When we bought the house the pool had not been used for 8 years, had filled up with leaves and had small trees and grass growing in the bottom! Having spent 3 days knee deep in gunk, we have found that the pool has a concrete bottom and solid metal sides, albeit with a lot of surface rust.

The pool measures 13.8m x 6m and is 1.05m deep at the shallow end and 2.5m at the deep end (estimated). The shallow end is 4.55m long. The pool then slopes away for 5.6m before reaching the deepest point. The deep end has a 30cm ledge on three sides before sloping in towards the middle on all sides. There is also a separate paddling pool that measures 6m x 2.9m that is connected under the terrace by a pipe to the main pool for its supply of water.

So far we are planning to have a slatted cover or Abri for security and to help keep the heat in. I think I have also seen Poolguy recommend: armoured liners (we’re having gite guests), direct injection chlorine auto-dosing and zeolite filled filters in other threads, but have no idea of what the cost of all this might be for a pool this size.

Also before we even look at installing a new liner, my girlfriend wants to fill in the deep end - to make the pool more family friendly and to substantially reduce the volume of water to be heated! I am keen to keep the pool as it was built.

Can anyone suggest a ball park figure for the cost of a new liner/heater/filtration, and the potential difference in heating cost between the pool as it stands and if we made it all one depth?

Nick

I am happy to help you with this rennovation and can assist with 'ball

park' figures, if you could send me your details by PM along with some

pics of the pool in question.

We are very active in that area and will be able to get the pool to a

good professional standard (DDASS approved) for your Gite Guests.

Andrew