Natural pool

cowoman

Hello I am toying with the idea of having a natural pool built in our place in Folles.Does anyone know if the initial cost is greater than a traditianal pool.I know that the running costs are lower but I am not sure if they are as appealing.To me they are as they are natural but do you think they would be as appealing to people taking holidays as our home will be rented out until our son finishes English school as he is 15.Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.I am waiting for my book from amazon to come in the meantime

Thanks in advance

We were quoted for a natural pool and it was actually much cheaper than a 'non-natural' pool.   We decided against it for the very reasons you have said, we didn't think it would be as appealing to people taking holidays in rented accommodation.   But, that is very much a personal opinion, and if you marketted it correctly I believe it could really appeal to certain people.   Had it been for ourselves only, we would have opted for a natural pool, and we are far from 'greenies', so I think there could be a big market.   We just weren't brave enough to risk it.   But perhaps you are !!!!

If you are interested I do know someone who makes these pools.   Which reminds me I promised to send his name to a couple of other people on the forum in the summer and didn't deliver, because I was not sure the person who quoted us was still doing the work.   As it happens, I ran into him in the supermarket a week ago, and he was more than happy for me to pass on his details (no connection to myself honest, he just did some masonry work for us, and very well too).   So, I also take this opportunity to apologise to the two other posters I ignored, but if anyone wants his details feel free to pm me.   I am in 87, not sure in which areas he works other than this one.

Thanks i did send you a message about this but i am not sure where it went!!!Sorry.

Anyway can you please send me the persons name because it would be great to talk to someone about this.I think one of these pools has some advantages like cheaper running costs,no chemicals and the water should be a little bit warmer than traditional pools.If I could find people who have these pools maybe I could suss out whether it would be a good option or not.The thing that puts me off the look of the pools is that they always look dark and mirky.I dont know if you could have a lighter liner to highlight the fact that the water is clear it could then look stunning with reeds and flowers surrounding it.I dont know if this is possible or not,maybe my book will have some answers or maybe your contact.Are you near Cluzeau Folles?Its haute vienne 87

It just occurrred to me, that I suppose you still need security for a natural pool ???  If so, I would assume you will never get a cover to fit, therefore you would be dependent upon security fencing, which might work out very expensive, because natural pools take up so much more space.   Also might look a bit incongruous ?

The other thing is that if you are letting your property, I am not sure what the regulations are for natural pool water cleanliness, if any.

No doubt someone will be much more knowledgeable than I and be able to answer these points, if they are relevant.

I have assumed in my pm to you also that you need planning permission.   Again I don't know if thats true but I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't.   

Perhaps some points to consider then in addition to the others !!

I am certain that the point Londoneye touched on would be the clincher

for your decision to go this route or not.. For if you hope to run a

business in France, advertsing your place for rental  - with a

'pool' then you will come under the gaze and therefore control of the

Department of Health (DDASS) and they will positively flip their

little top at the thought of reed bed filtration and enzyme

sanitisation. Moreover then they will insist that you bung in a load of

chlorine forthwith or close the facility to the public (your paying

guests).

Sort of defeats the purpose.....n'est pas!

I suggest that you think hard what are your priorities.... running a

rental business or owning a DYI 'natural' pool. They definately do not

sit together.

Security is another concern but I am sure that if you get to the point

of choosing a pool for yourself then your provider will propose a

solution which conform as is his obligation under the legislation.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
We have a natural pool at our house which was installed by the previous owners.  It was a hive of wildlife activity, including snakes, lizards and frogs. After our Jack Russell caught 2 snakes around the edge and was bitten by one of them, we have put fish in it and have never swam in it. It is a shame because it is very attractive but very difficult to manage the unwelcome 'visitors'

I would opt for a normal pool set up to be assured of the safety of it.  Also you can only really have a security fence system without a cover.