Lowering Alkalinity

With all this weird weather my chems are all over the show.

Cl = 1.8

Ph = 7.7

Alk = 211

Main issue here is the TA reading. I guess this must be caused by all the damn rain. Its normally spot on. So the queation is - what is the right and easiest product to reduce it and where to get it. I'm going into Limoges on Saturday if anyone knows a decent store there. Any suggestion gratefully appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Paul

pH minus will do the job for you (soduim bisulphate).   It might reduce your pH slightly which at 7.7 is on the high but ok side.   You should aim for 80 to 120 on alkalinity so don't go crazy with the pH minus to bring it down.   Do it bit by bit and check your alkalinity again.   If you aim for 7.4 it will be interesting to see what you alkalinity works out at.

It is difficult to say without knowing more about your pool, the surroundings, your water source, bather usage etc.   Very stormy weather with lots of lightening can affect nitrate levels which doesn't help.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

With all this weird weather my chems are all over the show.

Cl = 1.8

Ph = 7.7

Alk = 211

Main issue here is the TA reading. I guess this must be caused by all the damn rain. Its normally spot on. So the queation is - what is the right and easiest product to reduce it and where to get it. I'm going into Limoges on Saturday if anyone knows a decent store there. Any suggestion gratefully appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Paul

[/quote]

In my opinin the TA is Fine as it is withint the 80 -300 range prefered by the Pure Wate Principle theory on water quality. I usuall prefer to keep it around the 150 range but yours is OK

In most cases it is necessary to raise it when it gets below 80ppm, the cause of this is usally the use of Liquid acid and dry acid to balance the pH, as each dose has an effect on the TA. The usual symptom of that is to expereince pH bounce, where the pH is cycling all over the place from acid to alkalie in what seems to be hours for not apparant reason.

The figues you give indicate that there is nothing to be alarmed about just drop your pH to 7.3 with dry acid (Sodium bisulphate) or if you prefer wet acids, its the same.

Hope that this is helpful to you.

Andrew