Lockable abri... do I need a sensor as well?

Gyn_Paul

Yes I know it's been answered 100 times before, but I've just installed a new version of Opera and it refuses to either search or go back more than one page...

This Q. is for a friend with an in-ground pool in Loire-Atlantique which is covered by one of those telescopic abris like a giant greenhouse. It has lockable doors and so is completely secure when closed, yet his (UK) insurance company say it MUST have a sensor as well to comply with EU rules..

They're wrong aren't they ?

paul

If the Abri complies with the norm NF P90 309 then it is compliant when it is on. When it’s open you should have a responsible adult surveying the pool. If you have an alarm as well then you are double sure - a good idea but not obligatory according to the Norm.

Andrew

We have such an abri.  When we were negotiating for the property a couple of years ago, we expressed concern to the estate agent about the security status in view of the forthcoming regulations.  We were assured that all criteria were met with the abri.

However, when it came to signing in the presence of the vendors and estate agent in the notaire's office the following year, it transpired that the abri DIDN'T comply because it has a narrow flexible strip of polythene beneath one end of the structure (the movable end), under which allegedly, a child could crawl.  This was, quite frankly, ridiculous, as the gap was miniscule - but we were still obliged to acquire an alarm.  We made the estate agent pay for this for failing to provide the correct information - it cost him around 600 Euros.

So be aware, things are not always as they seem.  make sure that the structure is in compliance.

Thanks for that Chris'n'Julie, I'll pass it on. although I think they are in the clear as their structure has fixed end sections, with the interviening sections moving one into the other. The sections run on small tracks - rather like sliding doors - the bottom edge being sealed with a sort of draught-excluder brush strip. the only thing which could crawl under this would be a 4-day fetus !