dodgy skimmer

g8vkv

Hello,

We've got a 10x5 piscine with 2 skimmers.

These are fitted with "flaps" (is that the correct name?) which bang open and shut as you swim about.

Now one of these flaps has developed a habit of not opening properly when the pump comes on and I'm a bit worried that one of these days it will stick fully shut and we'll start circulating air and not water.

I've checked the thing and it seems free enough, but nonetheless this sticking occurs pretty regularly.

Are they absolutely necessary? If not, would it be OK to forceably remove it (I can't see any 'easy' way of taking it off), or failing that, jam it open?

Any ideas appreciated.

(current water temp 31 btw  :)

These falps are designed to accept water and debris into the skimmer and prevent it from re-entering the pool if the pump is turned off. Not essential but they make the skimmer more effective.

If you remove it then you will not impare the function of the skimmer.

Your water is too warm if you have a liner in your pool. I advise you not to go over 28°C as it will damage your liner or certainly void your warantee.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply - I've now 'jammed' the sticky one 95% open, using my best Heath Robinson techniques.

The pool is concrete/tiled, so should be OK.

Anyway, I don't think I can cool it down - flipin' sunshine!

Neither of our skimmers have a flap and they seem to operate OK if the debris in them is anything to go by.

I always wondered why there were those funny little knobbly bits each side of the bottom?

Seems like something else to go wrong to me and I wouldmuch rather have water than air going down there?

I might actually remove them - if nothing else, they bang open-shut in a rather irritating manner when you're swimming.

If I could figure a way of removing them in a non-destructive fashion I'd do it straightaway!