WRINKLY VINYL POOL LINER

I wonder if anyone can help please? We moved in 6 months ago so are still feeling our way with pool maintenance etc.,  However in Spring (and when we were experiencing heavy rain) we noticed the vinyl liner of our pool began forming wrinkles at the deep end.  These have now spread to the whole of the bottom of our pool, so much so, our robot now sticks on them and is not able to clean the pool well. 

The liner is still covered by guarantee as it is only 3 years old, however we think the company who installed it are no longer around.  Can anyone give me info as to what if anything I can do about this problem?  Anyone suggest a pool person who might be able to help?  I am in Dept 47.

Many thanks.

[quote user="grasscutters"]

I wonder if anyone can help please? We moved in 6 months ago so are still feeling our way with pool maintenance etc.,  However in Spring (and when we were experiencing heavy rain) we noticed the vinyl liner of our pool began forming wrinkles at the deep end.  These have now spread to the whole of the bottom of our pool, so much so, our robot now sticks on them and is not able to clean the pool well. 

The liner is still covered by guarantee as it is only 3 years old, however we think the company who installed it are no longer around.  Can anyone give me info as to what if anything I can do about this problem?  Anyone suggest a pool person who might be able to help?  I am in Dept 47.

Many thanks.

[/quote]

You may not be aware that a liner can actually 'grow' - that is become bigger and so develop pleats. The main cause of which can be many things but the most commone is the pH out of wack for an extended period.

There is no 'cure' for this the liner will not actually shrink again, so if you want to dispose of the pleats then its necessary to change the liner.*

This may not be the cause in your case but its fairly common cause / effect.

The way to prevent it is to ensure that your pH is within the 7.2 - 7.6 range at all times. The best way to do this is with an Automatic dosing system the monitors the pool constantly and makes the necessary adjustments automatically, whether you are there are not.

If you need help then PM me;

Andrew

Is there any possibility that this could be the reason for the same type of wrinkles appearing in our pool Andrew?

It was not possible for me to get absolutely all of the water from behind the liner ater the leak we had in it. Ther remaining water is likely to have the PH rise. I think that I will have to 'pop' the patch and see if I can remove more of it?

Have you tried to vac it out with a wet and dry

You may have to drain some water out to put the pipe down the side of the liner and tape around the gap between the pipe and liner.

this works. just like sucking the air out when you fit a liner, it sucks the water out from behind.

if not it will drain away in time, sometimes the creases go as the water underneath goes, if not it may need sucking into shape again.

chrish

I have 'popped' part of a patch that I put over a hole in one corner, it was well stuck too, and pumped some water out usinga drill driven pump and some arosage black pipe down to the bottom in the corner. I will leave it a while and repeat the process. This was how I got the majority of the water out before, only then I used some normal garden hose which I don't think reached the bottom? I managed to get enough water out to remove all of the wrinkles though and I thought I had sorted the problem.

Now I am worried in case there is another leak that I can't find???

Edit :- The wet/dry vac will be the next thing if this doesn't work. Thanks Chris...

We have a friend who is a pool installer/maintainer and has over 30 clients who have pools where the liners have encountered the same problem as yours, all have been caused by the very high water table in our area and almost all will need new liners.

Another friend who has the same problem with their pool contacted the manufacture of their pool and was told that this problem was not covered by the guarantee on the liner as it was beyond the control of the client/company.  

As our winters seem to be getting wetter, it would appear that the only solution is to either install a drainage ring below ground around base of the pool to take away some of the land water that appears to be getting under the liner or have a much thicker liner installed so that it does not crease up again next winter. Either way it is not cheap.

Hope this is of assistance.

Victor 

Hi

Thicker liners will not help.

Do not know why all of the liners will need changing why not just fit them again when the water table goes down.

Best way to stop this is with a land drain and a decompression hole next to the pool.

chrish

I have no experience of this problem, but simple logic says that if it started at the deep end and spread to the rest of the pool, and it followed a period of heavy rain, that water behind the liner could be the cause.

The only other thing that makes sense is some kind of swelling of the liner by say water adsorption.  The PVC is plasticised and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that (as Poolguy says) the pH could influence this.  This also fits with the preceding heavy rain upsetting the pH.  However the other factor of the wrinkles spreading from the deep end doesn't (to me anyway).

Dave